CHAPTER II

FEW HOURS LATER and Melanie hadn't moved from the same spot in her bedroom,Joyce and Bob had come home from work along with Jonathan and Will who were in their rooms too. Nancy and Steve were at Barbs house,meaning they were preoccupied. She was already high and managed to hotbox her room.

Melanie opened up all the windows in her room and stuck her head out to get rid of the smell. What she didn't realise was that the smell had seeped out into the hallway where Joyce had just entered. Joyce pushed the door open,causing Melanie to turn her whole body towards her.

"Mom! What are you doing in here? I can't get any privacy in this house!" She ran to her bed and subtly kicked her box underneath the bed again.

"You're smoking? Melanie what the hell are you thinking?!"

Melanie walked up to her mother and lowered her voice. "This was just a one time thing. I swear I won't do it again."

"How many times have you told me that but then you carry on doing it?! You are seventeen Melanie! You shouldn't be anywhere near these!" Joyce bellowed at her daughter,she was so loud that Bob and Jonathan came rushing over to see what was going on.

Bob stood beside Joyce,placing his hands on her shoulders. "Hey... What's going on here? Is everything okay?"

Melanie nodded her head ignorantly and clapped her hands together. "Oh great... just great. Why are you always here? You always have to get involved in our business and you're not our dad so back off!"

"There was no need for you to say that. Bob was just concerned about you,that's all. What is wrong with you?" Jonathan explained.

"You don't talk to Bob like that. He's done a better job these past couple months that he's been here than your father has,who's known you for seventeen years!"

Melanie shouted at her mother angrily,throwing her hands up in the air. "I don't care about dad! He's a liar and a scum! But I don't need another father figure in my life because we all know that once Bob gets what he wants,he's gonna leave. Don't worry,I'll be standing at the door with your bags already packed."

Joyce folded her arms across her chest and glared at her daughter. "Get out Melanie. I don't want you in this house tonight."

"What—"

"Get. Out."

She squinted her eyes at her,trying to read her facial expression. "You're kicking me out? Mom are you serious?"

"I don't want you in my house... so leave. Now."

Melanie slowly nodded and barged past her mother and out into the corridor. Jonathan,being the good brother he was,followed behind her. "Mom didn't mean that,she's just angry. You gotta understand Melanie."

"I'm gonna give her time to cool off. I'm also going to give me time to cool off,if you need be I'll be at Nancy's." She slipped on her sneakers and denim jacket from the hanger. "Also I'm taking your car with me."

"Look Mel,you don't need to go." Jonathan followed his sister out. "Just let me talk to mom."

She spun around to face her brother,playing with the keys in her hand. "She's already made her mind up Jonathan,I'm clearly not welcome in this house anymore."

"You were disrespectful and that was completely uncalled for,it's understandable that she wants you out." He explained.

She sighed heavily,raising an eyebrow at him. "I'll see you tomorrow Jonathan." She opened the car door and climbed into the driver side.

Jonathan watched as his sister began to drive away.

Melanie arrived at Nancy's house with nothing but Jonathan's car keys. The Wheelers had just finished up dinner when she knocked on the door uninvited of course. Nancy made her bed up for the both of them and handed Mel a fresh pair of pyjamas with a spare toothbrush.

"I can't believe your mom kicked you out. Why did she do it?" Nancy asked curiously as she climbed up on the bed and sat on it cross legged.

Melanie climbed onto the bed and sat down beside her best friend,her knees tucked into her chin. "I was being a bitch... as per usual. I was high and she got mad and told me to leave the house,I'm such a horrible person Nance. I've fucked things up once again."

She encouraged her best friend. "You're not horrible Mel. You're one of the most kind hearted people I've ever met,I just don't get why you think getting high helps to get rid of your problems."

Melanie sniffled,shaking her head slowly. "You don't get it,my life sucks so much and the only thing that helps me is weed. I know how stupid that sounds but it's true. I just need a distraction."

"Don't be ridiculous. Your life does not suck,you should be grateful that you have people around you that love you. I love you and you will always have me to talk to."

"Thank you,I love you too." A small smile crept upon her face and she engulfed her best friend into a huge bear hug. "Now did I miss anything at school today?"

Nancy quickly pulled away from the hug with a huge grin on her face,she tucked a strand of hair behind her ear and repositioned herself so she was a little closer to Melanie.

"Okay so there's this new guy who transferred today,he's called B-Brian... wait actually I think it's Billy. Also,Tina is throwing a Halloween party tomorrow night."

She hummed,leaning her head back onto the headboard. "Well is the new guy at least hot or not?"

"Personally,he isn't my type. He's a little... rugged and he looks like he's trouble. I'd say he's totally your type. He's going to be at the party tomorrow night."

Melanie smirked and covered her face with her hands. "I know I'm grounded... but I'm gonna go to Tina's party,there's no way I can miss it!"

"Mel you know how I'm a good friend and have to advise you to do the right—"

She cut her best friend off and laid her head on one of the pillows. "Nancy,I know what's coming next. No matter what you say,I'll still go."

"Okay. Do you at least know what you're going to wear? Because I know you don't want to be wearing the same outfit as someone else."

"I look good in anything Nancy." Melanie yawned and turned to the side so her face was away from Nancy's. "I'm getting a little tired,think I'm gonna crash out. Good night."

"Yeah good night Mel." Nancy turned off the lamp beside her and turned her body the opposite way to Melanie's.

A/N: I'm honestly the worst person to end chapters... anyways,Billy and our lovely gurlll Melanie are about to meet. And how freaking good was stranger things s3😱I was literally on an emotional rollercoaster when watching it😰. But thank you so much for choosing to read this book,constructive criticism is encouraged.
~ Juliana x