CHAPTER V

MELANIE AND STEVE were cuddled up in his bed the morning after. Steve had rolled over to her side for some comfort and Melanie wasn't complaining. She was hoping Billy would take her home, instead she ended up with Steve. Melanie wrapped an arm around his torso and snuggled closer to him but unfortunately it was time for him to get up.

Steve was the first one to wake up and got himself ready for school whilst his ex was still fast asleep in his bed.

"Steve! Steve! Are you up yet?" Mrs Harrington called out to her son as she tried to force the door open but it was locked. The rattling of the doorknob woke Melanie from her peaceful slumber.

"Steve get me another drink!" Melanie slurred, rolling over to the empty side of her bed. "I want an aspirin!" She pressed her hand

Mrs Harrington rattled the doorknob even more, desperately trying to find out who the mysterious girl was. "Steven Harrington! Is that Nancy? You better open this door right now!"

What she didn't know, was that her son was actually in the shower and locked the bathroom door with the lock. He couldn't hear. She finally managed to burst open the door and came storming in, only to see a semi drunk Melanie sleeping on the bed. Her head hanging off the edge and her legs and arms scattered.

"Melanie? Wha—"

Steve appeared behind his mom in just a towel wrapped around his waist. "Mom! What are you—My door!"

"I came to wake you up. What is Melanie doing here? Don't tell me you're dating her too." She pointed to the sleeping teen who now rolled over and wiped the drool on the mouth with the back of her hand.

"No! She was drunk out of her mind last night so I brought her here because I know Joyce would go crazy if she saw her like that."

She folded her arms across her chest and stared at her son confusedly, then back at Melanie. "Well what about Nancy? Aren't you two together still?"

"I don't know what we are... plus Melanie and I didn't sleep together so there isn't an issue. Now can you please leave?"

"Steve—"

"Mom I'm late for school." Steve hurriedly motioned his mom to the leave the room and closed the door behind her. Steve opened a bottle of water and splashed Melanie's face with it, immediately causing her to jump up from her sleep and scream.

"What the hell?!"

"Had to do something to get you up, I need to leave and so do you. I have school and you have to get home before your mom goes ballistic."

Melanie grumbled and slowly slid out from the duvet covers and onto the cold floor. Steve had obviously helped her change into a tshirt and his basketball shorts. "What am I even doing here? I thought you—Oh my god... my mom is going to kill me! She's gonna kill me!" She grabbed her heels and outfit from last night, which was on the bedroom floor.

"Mel, your mom already—"

"No! Steve I told her that I was going trick or treating with my brothers. But I didn't even come home last night. I'll see you later." She pecked his cheek and rushed out of his room and then of the house.

*

Melanie was walking—running home to try and get there before Joyce could notice she didn't come home the night before. That didn't go very well to plan. A car was beeping its horn for her continuously to try and get her attention, alas Melanie looked and saw her mother from a distance. She stopped running and plastered a fake smile on her face as the car had started closing in on her. Joyce soon pulled up next to her with the same disappointed glare she always had.

"I'm not even gonna ask, we'll talk about it when we get home but for now get in the car. The meeting is today." The school had arranged a meeting with Joyce and Melanie to discuss what the next steps were and if she was going to come back permanently.

"Today? And you didn't think to tell me this yesterday?!" Melanie complained as she walked around to the other side of the car. "I can't go looking like this!"

"Melanie it's too late to go home now! If you would've listened to me yesterday and followed my instructions, you wouldn't be in this mess. Oh and by the way, you're grounded again."

She leaned her head against the window, shaking her head. "I'm sorry I didn't listen to you again, I just couldn't miss out on this party."

"We'll talk about it when we get back home." Joyce started driving off again and rolled her eyes at her daughter. "You need to focus on your education. No more distractions if you want to graduate and leave with good grades."

"I know. I'll try to, I promise."

She added. "You also need to apologise to those girls you attacked and to the principal. I don't want them thinking you've come from a home where you weren't raised properly."

Melanie scrunched her face up and scoffed. "What am I sorry for? Defending myself from three jealous girls?! Mom, they deliberately pushed my buttons just so I could react!"

"Yes! And you're sorry for also insulting your teacher on top of that!"

"That's bull—"

"Save it for when we get back."