CHAPTER IX

A/N: I finally got some chapters out for you guys! I'm so sorry for the long wait but my life has been sooo hectic I haven't had time to write properly and put out good chapters for y'all.
Regardless, I'm thankful for all the support and love I've been receiving. Thank y'all so much xx

ONCE AGAIN MELANIE was found sitting in the principals office waiting for her mom to come pick her up. Fortunately for her,Joyce was busy at home and sent Jonathan to do it instead. Melanie was due another meeting with the principal later on in the week. Jonathan beeped his horn and gave her a little wave from outside,she stood up and stomped towards the entrance.

Jonathan removed all his files of investigation he was working on with Nancy from the passenger seat. Melanie opened the car door and climbed in,buckling her seatbelt in.

"Mom called me to come get you,she's a little busy at the moment."

She faced forward,folding her arms across each other. "Just get me home please,I've had a shitty day."

He started the engine and began driving away from the school premises. "You know,I've heard that you and Steve are getting closer. Are you guys—"

"Don't even think about finishing your sentence. Steve and I are just friends,though I could say differently about you and Nancy. It's all over school that your skiving together,you slept with her yet?"

"Nancy's my—"

Melanie cut him off immediately,laughing at her brother. "Crush that you've had for like ten years now,next time you see her,tell her that she owes me an apology."

"You still aren't friends?"

She shook her head. "All I know is until she says sorry and accepts her fault,then we're not friends."

"Just kiss and make up. I don't understand why girls have to be so difficult."

Melanie was silent for the rest of the ride home,Jonathan dropped her off then quickly made his way back to where he was going. Leaving her all alone at the house with Joyce.

She had been reciting different excuses she was going to give for:
• not coming home the previous night
• having the principal call home
• why she didn't call her the night before

Melanie slowly opened the front door with her keys and walked into the house,except she didn't recognise this house. Papers plastered all over the living room and dining area,they were drawings and scribbles. Joyce was sat on the ground in the middle of the living room,distress and worry took over her face.

"Mom?"

Joyce looked up at her daughter and her facial expression turned angry,she stood up and stormed towards her,placing a harsh slap on her left cheek.

"How dare you?! You think everything is about you? You think I have to spend everyday thinking and worrying about you when I have much more important shit running through my mind!" Joyce bellowed,moving closer and closer to Melanie so she had to look her in the eye.

Melanie frowned and shook her head. "Mom I can explain—"

"I don't wanna hear it! If you're not sneaking out or getting drunk and smoking,you're getting suspended from school! I'm sick of this,you need to start realising that I can't give you my attention anymore! You're sixteen! Grow up!!"

"Wait... you think I'm doing this for attention? You wanna know why I do this Mom?! When I get high,it helps me forget about all the shit happening here. Look at all of this! My brother is going through some crazy unexplainable shit and I'm supposed to act normal?! We aren't a normal family... not anymore."