CHAPTER XI

EARLY IN THE morning, Melanie had decided to leave. She planned to go home, have a nice relaxing shower and grab some extra stuff that she thought her mother and Will might need. Unfortunately for her, she had no car which meant she was forced to walk home instead.

After about fifteen minutes of walking down the secluded road,she gave up and stopped to try and regain her breath. She bent over and rested her hands on her knees,her breathing heavy. Melanie was good at track but lately she wasn't as athletic as she thought she was.

She continued slowly walking down the path, both hands resting on her waist on the verge of giving up till she heard a loud horn blaring behind her.

The car came speeding beside her, Melanie moved away to the side of the road; sighing of relief when she spotted a familiar face.

"Hey stranger, what the hell are you doing out here?"

"Could ask you the same thing Harrington." She replied, Steve rolled down his windows completely, his lips curling up into his signature handsome smile.

He reached over and pushed the door open for Melanie to get in, she climbed inside the vehicle; buckling her seatbelt across her torso. "Oh you know I love to just cruise around Hawkins looking for trouble."

Melanie chuckled softly, glancing at the boy from the corner of her eye. He gazed at her, concentrating on her smile on her face. That was the best thing he loved about Melanie, her gorgeous and contagious smile; it made her 'a hundred times more beautiful' as he used to say when the two were together.

"What were you doing out here all alone? Everything okay?" He turned his attention back onto the road, tightening his hands on the steering wheel.

And just like that, her smile vanished from her face. "Not at all. Will is really sick again and we don't know what to do, my mom is freaking out which is making me freak out and the doctors freak out and it's just... a mess." She said all in one breath, it was easy to tell that she was panicking.

"I'm just on my way home, I wanted to freshen up and maybe get something to eat and then go back." She leaned back in her seat, resting her head against the window.

"Wait." He turned away quickly from the steering wheel, reaching into the backseat. "You want a sandwich?"

Melanie questioned, watching the road for him since he wasn't able to do so. "Uh sure, what kind of sandwich? You know I don't eat tuna, pickles—"

He interrupted, pulling out a sandwich wrapped in aluminum foil. "Ham, cucumbers and mustard. Yeah I know, haven't forgotten."

"Can't believe you still remember. Wow." She opened up her arms slightly as Steve tossed the bread at her, slowly ripping away at the foil.

He continued driving down the road, his eyes still landing on Melanie more than the actual road itself. "Of course I remember." He paused,
"When was the last time I made you my famous Harrington sandwich?"

"The night you broke up with me and got with Nancy the next day."

"Oh." He breathed out, barely audible.

"Yep." She took a big bite into the sandwich, shielding her mouth as she ate it. The car was now silent, all was heard was Melanie's chomping on the bread and Steve's slight humming and tapping on the steering wheel.

He looked over at her again, this time his expression was stern. "Mel I-I don't know if you already know this but, I never meant to hurt you—"

"No. No, we're not having this conversation again. I'm over it, that was in the past and now I've moved on to bigger things now. Literally." She laughed slightly to herself, proud of her snide comment she had just made.