CHAPTER III

THE NEXT MORNING,the two girls were up early and ready for school. Steve was coming over to pick Nancy up so they could go together and Melanie was going to drive back home,hoping that nobody was there. They both ran down the stairs and briefly said farewell to Mr and Mrs Wheeler before running outside.

Steve was leaned against his car,playing with a pebble in his hand but closed his fist when he saw the girls approach him. "What is she doing here? I thought you're not allowed out."

Melanie snatched the pebble from his hand and began throwing and catching it in the air. "I was kicked out last night so I came to Nancy's. Why do you guys go to school so early? What's the rush?"

"It takes us long to get to our classes because we like to chill in my car before we go in. Unlike you,we like being on time to class." Steve opened the door for Nancy to get into the car.

"You're still coming tonight,right?"

Melanie reassured her. "Yeah,for sure."

"Good. I'll see you later." Nancy quickly hugged her best friend before climbing into her car.

"I'll see you tonight." Melanie walked over to Jonathan's car and opened it,she hopped into the drivers side and started the engine. Nancy gave her a little wave before Steve drove off out the driveway and onto the main road. Melanie did the same and drove to the opposite direction: home.

The drive was short and quick and Melanie got home quicker than she had expected,she parked the car in the driveway and as soon as she stepped out of the car,she spotted Jonathan through the window cooking.

She walked up to the door and knocked twice,within seconds Jonathan came to the door. "You're back... hey."

"Hey. Is mom home?" She walked through the door and immediately sat down on the dining chair. Just as she sat down,Joyce entered.

Joyce murmured. "Melanie,didn't think I'd see you here so soon. Where did you go?" Melanie stood up from where she was sitting.

"I stayed at Nancy's... I am so sorry mom. I-I shouldn't have said what I said and I know I promised you that I wouldn't smoke again,it was wrong of me and I hope you can forgive me." Melanie said all at once in one breath,Jonathan laughed at her whilst Joyce slowly began smiling.

Joyce pulled her in for a hug,stroking and kissing her head. "I'm sorry too,I shouldn't have punished you like that. But... you're still grounded and you also need to apologise to Bob when he gets here."

"Okay,that seems fair." She sat back down on her seat and took her cutlery out. "Breakfast smells amazing."

"It looks amazing too. Figured we need a full stomach on Halloween." Jonathan dished the food up on the plates and sat down next to his sister.

Joyce took out a camera from one of the storage cupboards. "Wait! Before you dig into your food,you need to wait for your brother."

"Will! It's time for breakfast honey,foods getting cold." Joyce called out.

"And I'm getting hungry." Melanie muttered under her breath and bit into her toast. Jonathan glared at her and slapped the toast out of her hand. "Hey!"

"We gotta wait for Will,you know that."

Will finally came to join his siblings,all dressed up in his ghostbusters costume. Melanie laughed and hugged him so tight he was about to burst. "You look so freaking cool,why can't I be like you? Oh please teach me your ways."

He pulled away from the hug,chuckling. "You know you're much cooler than I am. You're one of the most popular girls in high school."

"Hey that is so not true,popularity means nothing Will." She pulled him to sit down on the other side of her. "You are awesome."