17: Life or Death

Hi Beautiful!
Only three more chapters then the epilogue! There will be a sequel if anyone is interested, and it continues with Noah and Blaze's story, and there might be a spin-off. I am going to start my other books as well, different genre, but still romance.

*~*~*~*~*~*

Noah and I arrive at the pack house after a practice run through what we did in training so far.

It has been a little less than a month since we have mated for the first time and Carly said that I should expect my heat soon. Noah doesn't know that I will be in heat and I'm kind of anxious to tell him, since I know he would keep me on lockdown until it passes. Our heat doesn't pass even if we mate, it passes over three days and it is only painless if you mate through every wave.

Since Noah and I have mated, his heat will continue again and mine will become frequent, basically every month. It encourages us to have children as soon as possible to insure our species' survival. I don't know how Noah feels about children exactly, but I have the slight idea that he doesn't want them anytime soon, if at all. I think he feels that he won't be a great father. I know he would be though, he has that caring side to him. If anything, he's more capable at raising children than I would be.

Noah and I part after we reach his office and he gives me a quick peck before heading inside his office. A small smile stretches my lips and the familiar warmth spreads over my cheeks as they set ablaze. Why does he have such an effect on me? I mean, he barely glances at me and I'm a puddly mess. I don't know if I will ever get used to him and honestly, I wouldn't mind if that's the effect I have everytime.

I walk upstairs, wanting to find Aiden so that we can catch up on recent mate-gossip. I am ecstatic to hear how his chat with Alice went to reassure her about them. Before I even reach the door to his bedroom, the sound of crying alarms me. I hasten my pace and almost kick the locked door down. The sight I find is absolutely shocking. I have never seen Aiden this angry. Apart from the night when he broke my arm. Alice is balling her eyes out on their bed and Aiden is pacing excessively, tugging at his hair, muttering profanities under his breath. I scatter inside and swiftly close the door behind me.

The noise alerts them both and before I could register what is happening, Aiden flies into my arms and a slow river trails down my already sweaty neck. Aiden shakes as sobs rake through him. We crumble to the floor, but Alice stays on the bed, clutching her stomach.

After about ten minutes of solid crying, Aiden sniffles, wiping his tears and removing his limp body from mine. I whisper a question, saddened at the sight of my best friend and his mate.

"What happened?" I ask and Alice just shakes her head, tears continuously flowing down her red, puffy cheeks. Aiden sighs, running his hands down his face, clearing any sign of his breakdown.

"Annalise came to do an examination on Alice, to check on her and the baby. She was a little sick and I suspected it was because she is carrying a hybrid child. We found out that her body is slowly rejecting the child, because of our close bond. Anna told us that if I mark Alice, sh-she might- her body would, uh- it would reject the child and cause Alice to have a miscarriage." I take Aidens hand and slowly caress the rough skin. He takes a deep breath to continue and I let him talk it all out.
"Obviously I would never want to intentionally kill a baby, and it wasn't Alice's fault that the bloodsucker raped her. I was ready to accept the child, even though it wouldn't be mine. Anna also told us that we would definitely lose the baby if we were to mate." He sighs, closing his eyes and he shakes his head.
"Alice is going into heat soon. She will be in excruciating pain, and me being near her would only tempt us both. I don't know what to do, Blaze. Help me." Aiden looks back at Alice and she looks down, chewing at her bottom lip.