Give it a Chance Ch. 10

Give it a Chance, A SonAmy Story

Chapter 10

Chasing Words

A sudden gust of wind ruffled the leaves of the tree outside Amy's window, and the girl looked up from her desk hopefully. But no...the rush of air was only natural and not the product of a visit by a certain blue hedgehog's trademark speed.

Darn.

Amy let out her own gust of air as she got up from her desk to study the gentle breeze. It was such a nice day out; not a single cloud graced the lovely blue sky, and the intense heat of summer was starting to give way to crisp, cool autumn. Amy should be out there enjoying it, not cooped up in here, pretty much bored out of her mind. Daytime TV had never been any good, and frankly, Amy just didn't feel up to going to visit Cream right now. At the moment, she just had one desire. But since that had been deprived of her for - had it really been 3 days now? - Amy was left with nothing to do but...write.

It was said that absence made the heart grow fonder, and in a way that was true - being without Sonic for a while made Amy savor the time they did spend together even more. At the very least it made her reflect on all the fun dates and times they'd had, and that certainly helped her write her love letter.

Sighing as yet another light breeze reminded her of her erratic boyfriend, Amy left the view and grabbed her pink jeweled phone, hoping Rouge wasn't on a G.U.N. assignment right now. The girl bounced on her bed lightly as she fell on it, listening to the steady rings on the other end of her phone.

"Hello?" A deep but still feminine voice asked.

"Hey Rouge, it's Amy."

The tone of her voice indicated immediately to the bat that Amy's Sonic situation hadn't been resolved yet. Realizing she could be in for another long talk, Rouge turned off her TV and settled back on the couch, folding her wings around in front of her.

"Hey girl, what's up?" she asked even though she knew full well.

A sigh drifted through the phone. "You haven't seen Sonic, have you?" Amy asked for what seemed like the millionth time.

"Nope, Amy, I haven't. But I'm sure he'll turn up sooner or later. He always does, right?"

"Yeah..." Late, she wanted to add. Amy also wanted to suggest Rouge tell her boss to send out some people to search for him, but knew GUN would laugh at the mission of trying to find the erratic hedgehog. Everyone knew Sonic came and went as he pleased. "But Rouge...what could be keeping him this long?"

Now it was Rouge's turn to sigh. "Amy, I'm going to tell you the same thing that I told you yesterday. Sonic's the kind of guy that needs his space. You guys saw each other for four days straight, and Sonic just needs some alone time now. There's nothing unusual about his behavior. Plus it's good for you to miss each other once in a while."

"Rouge I get that," Amy said, frustrated that she was just getting the same careless and unhelpful answer from everyone. "I know he needs his space, and I'll let him have it. I'm just...afraid something might have...happened to him." Amy gnawed at her trembling lip. "I mean, he said it was only going to be a day... and it's been almost three now."

"Well, Amy," Rouge finally said. "If he's not answering his phone and no one else knows where he is, than I really don't know what to tell you except to hold on. I know that's not -"

"Thanks Rouge," the irritated hedgehog spat sarcastically, and tried her hardest not to just hang up on the bat.

"Listen, hun," Rouge said in her most soothing tone, "You need to stop crying over him. At least he warned you that he was going to be leaving, right? And I'm sure when you see him again, he'll be eager to make it up to you. In fact, he's probably off preparing something special for you."