Give it a Chance Ch. 12

Give it a Chance, A SonAmy Story

Chapter 12: Falling In Love

A metal-tipped rake scratched its way across the yellowing grass, digging into the dry ground and gathering brown and orange leaves that were strewn across the lawn. The pink hedgehog that was wielding the tool hummed contentedly to herself as more and more leaves fell around her, spinning and twirling before finding repose on her yard. Raking leaves could be a monotonous chore, but Amy decided to enjoy it as much as she could. After all, life was sweet right now. And besides, it was an excuse for her friends to come over and help her out.

"Amy, these are just gorgeous!" A certain rabbit suddenly gushed, and Amy turned to smile at her best friend.

"Oh, I didn't show you those yet?" Amy asked as she wiped some of the gathering sweat on her forehead. The young teen headed over to Cream, who was bending over to inspect the group of pink and blue tulips that were curved in lines to form a heart shape.

"When did you get these? I haven't seen them before..." Cream asked, her chocolate eyes wide in amazement.

Amy sighed in happiness. "Sonic planted them for me. Isn't that so sweet of him?"

"Really? Mr. Sonic did this?" Cream was incredulous.

Amy nodded. "Mmm-hmm. He told me he asked you and your mom to show him how to plant flowers, because otherwise he'd be totally clueless on how to do it," she giggled.

Cream smiled back in remembrance, though she found herself oddly wishing that a boy would do that for her. Though as her eyes traced the blue and pink flowers, she still felt happy that Amy had found a guy of her own.

"Well, they really are pretty," Cream said truthfully, for she loved flowers. "Sonic is sweet to do that for you."

Amy nodded, and then both girls resumed raking Amy's yard, piling up the vermilion-hued leaves spinning down from the gnarly oak, skinny maple, and full serviceberry trees gracing her backyard like columns. Amy continued humming the tune of a song that had been in her head all day, the beats matching the rhythm of her rake. For any other girl, the laborious raking would make her arms sore, but it was times like these that made Amy glad that she used her hammer to develop some muscles in her upper body. A steady wind ruffled the the leaves that were hanging by a thread to their source, though a few of them finally were loosened and freed to travel downwards thanks to gravity. Amy found herself shivering as the cold wind kept piercing her fur and goosebumps raced up her bare arms.

"Cream, I'm gonna go grab a jacket, it's getting chilly out here," she said and dropped her rake, the metal clanging to the ground.

"Okay," Cream acknowledged and was glad that Vanilla had insisted that she wear a sweater on this crisp day.

Amy let out a warm sigh as she entered her house. Even though it wasn't quite cold enough to turn the heater on, there was enough of a nip in the air to keep anyone who ventured outside feeling refreshed and awake, unlike the sluggish, sticky days of summer. The girl made a beeline for her room and closet before selecting a simple pink zippered light jacket to throw on over her t-shirt and jeans. Just when she was about to head back outside, her doorbell chimed.

Oh good, he's here!

A smirk carved its way up her face as Amy skipped over to the door, opening it to reveal... a two-tailed fox holding a toolkit in his left hand.

"Tails?" Amy feigned surprise, even though she'd been fully expecting him.

"Hey Amy, uh... Sonic told me you needed your dishwasher fixed?" Tails asked, shifting his weight a little awkwardly, his tails wagging behind him.