2.1 || ZALYNE 🔥

The entire court seemed to shrink from the Lion Queen's fury.

"You stand accused of treason," Lleona said, "of conspiring against the throne and withholding information from the queen. What do you have to say to this?"

Silence.

"Speak," Hundo grunted, giving Zalyne's chains another jerk.

"I..." Zalyne swallowed, forcing herself to look at the hard line of the queen's mouth. "I didn't have any part in this."

"Liar," Lleona said. She sat ramrod straight, her hands clenched so tightly they looked more ice than flesh. "You were found in my daughter's bed in the morning, wearing her nightgown. The princess is gone."

"I don't know how it happened," Zalyne said, her voice rising in desperation. "Please, your Majesty - "

"You don't know? How would you not know? You were the decoy they used last night."

They. Zalyne didn't know who had smuggled Princess Brennia from the capital, but she'd heard rumors of the Medics having disappeared...and, more importantly, the dragon egg.

But right now, the Lion Queen didn't give two flying farts about the egg.

"I think they might've drugged my water, your Majesty," she stammered. "I remember drinking some water, and then I was tired - "

"So somebody took you up to my daughter's room, changed your clothes, straightened your hair, and tucked you in?"

"Yes, your Majesty."

Disgust burned in Lleona's eyes. She'd once been a beautiful woman, the tales said, before age and anger had sliced her face into a web of lines and ridges.

"Your Majesty." The voice came from a figure to Zalyne's left. "If I may speak."

Lleona nodded.

Minister Nero Viroj, the Minister of Coin, stepped forwards. "With all due respect, your Majesty, I believe she is telling the truth. My agents have gathered information on her, and, unless we missed something, this girl never left her room when she was supposed to be inside, never strayed from her duties, and never talked to anyone other than her handmaidens and a few other servants."

"Do you have a list of people she talked to?"

He nodded. "Yes, your Majesty." He held up a sheaf of parchment. "Along with all her records of attendance."

They have records of attendance? Zalyne glanced at the queen. Her lips were drawn into a line again. "And how sure are you about the accuracy of these...records?"

"Guards are placed outside the doors every night, your Majesty," he said. "And there are no windows in the handmaidens' room. They would have no way to escape, and even if they did, I doubt they would have the incentive or the brains to conspire against the princess."

"Oh," Lleona said, "they would have plenty of incentive. You may be right about the brains, however." She nodded at Viroj. "Thank you, Minister. I want all the people she talked to on the list questioned. Perhaps they would be easier to crack than this one."

"Yes, your Majesty." Viroj sat back down.

Lleona turned back to Zalyne. "And you - do you have anything to say to this?"

Zalyne shook her head. "N-no, your Majesty."

The queen's jaw tightened. "Very well. Hundo, take her to the cells. Question her after the execution. I believe a few hours will be more than enough to yield some answers."