8.2 || ZALYNE 🔥

Of all the things that could've come out of Elsking's quivering, stuttering mouth, Zalyne had not expected a threat.

He's dangerous, she realized. More dangerous than he seems....

For once, Luka was silent.

"It seems like we don't have a choice," she said quietly. Unless we escape...but then he'll find us. "Fine - we'll do it. Protect us and we'll vouch for you." There's no harm in taking him to the Nightfire Isles...right?

Relief crossed his face. "Th-thanks."

"Can we go now?" Luka demanded. "Someone else will recognize us and give us to Lleona."

"Yes." Elsking shuffled back to the door and unlocked it.

"Can you believe he's related to Lady Astnorden?" Luka muttered to Zalyne.

"I'd be warier of him if I were you," she said quietly.

The inn was eerily silent. A few of Elsking's men were eating at the table, stuffing hunks of bread and meat into their mouths. A couple of servants scurried around, mopping up what looked horribly like blood.

"M-my men," Elsking said, stopping before their table. "We have to leave. Now."

"But we haven't rested in a week!" complained one of the men. A few others echoed him, their hands clutched tight around tankards of beer. "Give us a night at least!"

"I-if you don't come with me, y-you will be getting a night...an everlasting one."

Zalyne and Luka glanced at each other. Elsking's men, grumbling, obeyed.

Within minutes, Luka and Zalyne were mounted on two of Elsking's finest horses. It was much nicer than squatting amidst crates of onions, but Zalyne couldn't help but feel naked, scrutinized by all of Husling City as they ventured down the dusty roads.

A cart clattered past them, a huge cage jangling atop. Her mouth fell open as she realized that it was full of men, manacles gleaming dully around their wrists, ribs stabbing at their skin.

"Slaves," Luka muttered. "Probably for the tournaments at Elvesglade."

Zalyne didn't respond. The slaves' eyes were empty, sunken, like shriveled husks. She wondered whether she'd looked that way when Princess Brennia had tortured her....

They passed under the gates of Husling City, emerging onto the North Guardsroad. From here, it would be a straight ride to Wayra Peak, where they'd set sail for the Nightfire Isles.

Elsking passed Zalyne his dagger as they headed out of the gates. "You s-should cut your hair," he said. "A w-woman w-will attract attention."

She hesitated before taking the dagger. It was heavier and longer than any blade she'd handled before, although to be fair, she'd only ever used kitchen knives.

Cautiously, she raised it to her hair and swung it down. A handful of black curls tumbled to the ground. Zalyne swallowed as she hacked clumsily at the rest of her hair.

Lleona will have a trail, she thought, if she wants to find me. The thought of the queen's men scampering after her hair and giving it to their hounds to smell was so absurd that she almost laughed.

It was almost dusk by the time they reached Little Bay, just half a mile south of Husling Bay.

"W-we'll dine and sleep here," Elsking announced, as they approached an inn. It was nestled between two foothills. "I'll go to Husling Bay for news of my sister. M-Minister Handel, y-you'll have control of the m-men."