17.3 || LORELEI 🌊

At the end of the temple stood twelve figures, each one painted a different color. Above them, carved into the wall, was a face. Whether it was man or woman, old or young, Lorelei could not tell.

So this was the religion of the Night Kingdom. Never before had Lorelei entered a Skeynvald temple, and now she wished she hadn't. The entire room was dark and musty, its air heavy with candle smoke. She could barely see into the shadowy corners, although she could hear footsteps down either side of the temple.

Candles lined the way down to the altar. As they walked, Lorelei studied the walls - they were made of bare gray stone, oily pools of golden light spilling over the cracks. Water was trickling somewhere, echoing eerily.

The Priest reached the altar and knelt. Ellac followed suit - Lorelei glanced at him before kneeling, too. She winced as the cold stone cut into her knees - her skin still hadn't fully recovered.

Her eyes flickered up to the statues. She knew that the men of Skeynvald believed in the Twelve Noble Fights, although the religion of Old Skeynvald had introduced a deity to rule above all the lesser ones.

Although you are not my gods, she prayed, staring at their painted faces, save and preserve my family. Help Calder and Telaeri...please, help her...she's all alone now....

A lump rose in her throat. Again, the horror of what she'd seen in her dreams threatened to flood over her -

No. No, she had to be strong. There would be a time when she'd be able to cry, to scream as she'd done with Astna on the hill. But that time could not be now.

Finally, the Priest stood. He headed towards the edge of the altar and pushed open a door. Ellac followed him without hesitation.

They stood in an office. A bed rested against one wall, a bookshelf another. A desk was nestled in the corner, sheafs of papers and piles of scrolls lying across its surface. A table stood in the middle of the room, surrounded by three chairs. Three mugs of tea rested atop the table.

Three mugs, Lorelei realized with a jolt. He...he knew we were coming.

"Please sit," the Priest said, taking a seat himself. Under the candlelight, Lorelei could make out his hooded brown eyes and beaky nose. He folded his hands and studied Lorelei as she sat. "It is not every day that I sense the need to grant an audience. Why have you come?"

Lorelei's eyes narrowed. "How do I know to trust you?"

The Priest raised his eyebrows. "Hm. Good question. But the Priests of my order are sworn to secrecy - "

" - and the Priests of my kingdom were sworn to peace. Nevertheless, they killed my family."

The Priest sighed. "What can I do to make you feel safe?"

She bit her lip. "Is there...is there anything you can drink to make you forget this conversation happened?"

"Lorelei!" said Ellac, scandalized, but the Priest merely nodded.

"There is," he said. "Perhaps you heard of it - it originated in Stromvald. The leaves of the Garovan tree."

"What's that?" Ellac said.

"It removes memories," she said. "Some who take too much of it may die."

The Priest headed over the bookshelf. Atop it stood three jars - he removed one of them and handed it to Lorelei. She looked inside - there was a faint green powder. It really was Garovan powder.

"I use this for many who come to me," he said, "who fear for their safety."

"But what about the other Priests?" she demanded. "They must've seen us come in."