13.2 || ASTNORDEN 💫

Princess Lorelei strode through the doors, flanked by a dozen guards dressed in silver and gold. She wore a dress of soft blue, looking more modest and innocent than any maiden Astna had seen before.

"Greetings, my Queen," she said, kneeling. The guards followed suit.

"Rise," Astna said. She studied the guards. Gold and silver...those are Svanvald colors. Why doesn't she have any Stromvald guards about her? "I just read your letter, my Princess." She nodded at one of her guards at the door, who lugged a mahogany chair across the room. "Please take a seat. I believe we have much to discuss."

"Yes...that is true." Lorelei sat down gracefully.

Astna studied the River Princess. Lorelei had the long black hair and dark eyes of both her parents, although none of her queen mother's famed beauty. She also looked rather pale, as though she hadn't slept well in the last few days.

"So you desire an alliance with me?" Astna said. Lorelei nodded. "Why would you do that? With an army like yours, you could take Scorvald in days."

"It'd be better to take Skeynvald before Scorvald," Lorelei explained, staring unabashedly at Rasla. "If we seized Scorvald immediately, the strength of the provinces Norrayn and Stovasen would fall upon us. The Lady of Norrayn is infamous for her strength."

"Yes," Astna said. "I've heard." She sighed, leaning back against her throne. "So all you desire is Scorvald?"

She hesitated. "...yes."

Hmm. Astna glanced at Lorelei's guards. All of them wore the same expressionless face, but she knew they were all listening. "And you desire nothing for yourself?"

"My brother is in the hands of the Lion Queen, your Majesty. All I desire is to recover him before...before he divulges some information to the queen."

Astna stood abruptly, and Rasla hissed in protest, claws scrabbling painfully over her skin. "Walk with me," she said.

Lorelei frowned. "But - "

"Leave your guards," she said. "I am sure they've had a long journey here." She nodded to Ellac. "Show them to the dining hall, and treat them with all the honors befitting such noble guests." She turned to Lorelei. "Walk with me."

Astna began walking towards the exit. Lorelei hesitated, then followed.

The gardens of Ormina Hall laid just outside the castle, a wild tangle of hedges and rosebushes. The skies were dreary and gray, similar to the ones outside Valchtnallan Hall. The thought gave Astna a small sense of comfort.

When they could no longer see the entrance of the hall, Astna turned to Lorelei.

"So," she said. "Talk to me."

Lorelei glanced around her. "About what?"

"Your brother. Your betrothed. What is worrying you?"

Lorelei narrowed her eyes. "Why should I trust you?" she said. "Nothing I said in the hall was untruthful."

Astna studied a white rose. Roses ruled the gardens here, red and pink and white and orange and yellow. Just yesterday, she'd come across one as black as ink, with petals as soft as velvet. "So what were you hiding? My princess, I have no desire to share your secrets to Prince Verradaen - I would gain nothing from doing that."

Lorelei raised her eyebrows. A wind blew past, buffeting her black hair into her face. "I have laid out the terms for the alliance," she said stiffly. "Those are honest terms."

"I have no doubt they are. But what will you get out of this? What does your brother know that you are so eager to keep silent? And if you only want your brother, why does Verradaen desire the entire kingdom of Scorvald? Surely it can't be for territory."