16.3 || ASTNORDEN 💫

No. No, this can't be possible -

"Tell Lady West and Lord Denling to distribute stores of nightsong essence to the people," Astna said, fighting to keep her voice even. "One or two blossoms for each family. Tell no one to leave the house at night, and to travel in groups during the day. And...and do not let word of this reach my soldiers."

The messenger nodded, his eyes wide with fright. "Y-yes, my Queen."

"And tell them to find Rasla," Astna said. "Tell them to not stop searching until she reappears. Go!"

The messenger nodded and scampered back down the hill.

Astna ran a hand through her hair, turning towards Lorelei. "You cannot tell anyone," she said.

Lorelei nodded. "Of course."

"Not even Verradaen."

"Especially not him. My Queen...I am on your side." Lorelei approached her, her hands folded. "You can trust me."

But should I? Astna opened her eyes, wearily studying the princess' face. She seems so innocent...but this is the woman who has won over my people when I could not. She is dangerous. "I do not know what to do," she murmured. "Lord Denling has his men at home...but I fear they cannot recapture Rasla. Not before it's too late."

"Protecting your people is good," Lorelei said simply. "Telling them your hydra escaped, however...not so much."

"Why not?"

"I understand your dilemma, your Majesty. However...you need to show your people that you are in control. Having your hydra flee - that is not control."

"But I can't just impose a curfew on them without telling them why!"

"Which is why I said I understand your dilemma. You were wise not to let the soldiers know, but I fear they will learn of it soon."

She let out a sigh - her head had started to pound again. "I cannot cut communications between my soldiers and Skoslant, however. They will - "

"You could have men read the letters Scan them for any news."

Astna looked up, her eyes narrowed. She is clever. "I could."

Lorelei smiled gently, touching Astna's shoulder. "I shall go eat now, your Majesty. Would you like to accompany me?"

As if eating with her is a privilege? Astna shrugged off Lorelei's hand. "I shall dine by myself. Feel free to join me in my tent."

She strode off before Lorelei could say anything else.

The cheers of her men greeted her as she reached the encampment. Astna returned them with smiles and waves. She glanced towards the end of the camp as she headed inside her tent. Already the citizens of Masseig - many of whom were women and children - were being tended to across the riverbank.

As soon as the tent flap shut behind her, she collapsed onto the bed.

Stupid, she cursed herself. You should've never left Rasla behind...you should've taken care of her. How could you have been so stupid...?

There was no point in worrying over it now, though. Astna sighed and leaned towards her desk. A map laid on the oaken surface, held down with four paperweights. She picked up a quill, dipped it in ink, and marked the cities of Sodleim Harbor and Kantar with black X's.

A tired smile crossed her face as she studied the map. A quarter of Old Skeynvald in a month, she thought. Incredible. Of course, Verradaen's superior troops were the reason behind her conquest of Masseig - she could never have defeated the two cities without his men.