Chapter 22: Tiegan's Adventure

Tiegan was cleaning dust off tables in one of the dining rooms when a court lady rushed in:

"Tiegan, Senior Court Lady Om is calling for you! It's an emergency!"

Tiegan glanced at her in surprise and put the cleaning-cloth down.

"What is it?"

"Ugh, no time for questions! Just come!" The court lady got worked-up. "His Highness the 6th prince was bitten by a snake! He needs immediate treatment!"

"A... snake?!" 

Tiegan widened her eyes and ran after the frightened court lady. They rushed outside the palace and accessed a large crowd gathered in the yard. There were servants comprising the said crowd, as well as the 6th prince's attendants. Everyone showed concern and whispered among themselves. When they saw Tiegan coming, they all cried out with hope:

"She's here!"

"Tiegan has come!"

The servants made way for her and she reached the centre of the crowd where 6th Prince Wang Hu was lying on the grass, with his hand weakened from the snakebite. He was wincing in pain. Senior Court Lady Om and other experienced court ladies were holding him. Everyone looked worried and terrified. Tiegan walked up to them with firm steps and knelt beside the prince. She looked at the court ladies with a slight frown:

"What the heck happened?"

"A venomous snake bit him!" Om cried out in distress, "We need to treat him immediately or else_"

"Understood," Tiegan muttered and grabbed the prince's hand.

"Wait, what are you going to do?" Om got preoccupied.

"Suck out the venom. What else? Or do you want him to die?"

At such harsh words of hers, the people gasped. Hu, whose vision had already gone blurred from the active venom, murmured with a silly smile:

"Such a beauty you are, little redhead..."

He stroked Tiegan's red hair

He stroked Tiegan's red hair. Tiegan rolled her eyes:

"There, he's already lost his mind..."

She observed the young man's arm and quickly located the wound. She put her mouth to it and began sucking the venom out and spitting it away. The people watched her astonished, but no one dared interfere with her work. They knew if she didn't do that, the prince would die and they all would be punished. 

After Tiegan finished with her job, she grabbed some leaves out of her pocket and put them onto the prince's wound. She tore a little piece off her clothing and wound it around his arm.

"There, he's going to be fine now. Take him to his bed and tend to him further. I've got my work to do."

She walked away. The people grabbed the barely-conscious prince and took him to his room. 

Later that evening, a strange man-servant walked up to Tiegan and declared:

"His Highness 6th Prince Wang Hu calls for you."

Tiegan rolled her eyes and threw the wet clothes on the drying rope.

"What does he want now?"

She followed the man. He led her into a rich room where, on a red bed, the prince was lying, with his hand bandaged. Once they entered, the prince gave a sign to his servant to leave. His order was fulfilled and the door closed behind Tiegan. She gave Hu a questioning gaze, crossing her arms as if he weren't a prince but some peasant.

"I should truly thank you, for saving my life." Prince Hu bestowed a gracious smile upon her.

"Don't mention it." Tiegan shrugged. "So, what do you want?"

Hu chuckled:

"You're talking so harshly to a prince?"

"I'm a Soutrailian. We've got no princes. I do not recognize monarchs. So, what is it you want?"

"Nothing in particular. I just wanted to get to know the beautiful girl who saved me."

"Well then, sorry. I'm not too good at getting to know strangers." Tiegan turned around, ready to leave.

"No, no, wait!" 

The prince got worked-up and even attempted to sit up, but winced as he was still weak. Tiegan looked back with irritation:

"What is it?"

"I... I shall give you anything you want."

"Oh, that's good. Give me freedom, then."

"Sure... if you make love with me." Hu grinned.

Tiegan flushed up with anger.

"Oh, never mind, then."

"No, no, wait!" Hu leapt up from the bed and grabbed her hand. 

"What do you want?" Tiegan frowned.

"I... I admit I cannot give you freedom, but I still want to gift to you something for saving me. So, name anything you want."

"Oh... Then bring me a tiger and we're even."

"A... tiger?" Hu grew astonished.

"Yes." Tiegan shrugged as if it were a fully normal request. "I love animals. I can understand them. I can tame them. Back when I served as a slave in Hindia I worked as a tiger trainer to amuse guests. If you give me a tiger, then I'll consider your debt repaid."

At such an answer, Hu laughed. Tiegan raised an eyebrow:

"What's so funny?"

"It is just too funny that... I am known as Tiger Prince because I own a large group of tiger trainers who work to entertain guests on special occasions. I am their leader and I am also a tiger trainer as I have loved this particular job since deep childhood."

Tiegan gasped - no way, it was he who led that awesome group of tiger trainers which she always dreamed to get in?!

"Cool..."

"So, what would you say? Will you... join the group? You'll get your personal tiger to tame!" Hu smiled, finally able to interest this untamable girl somehow.

"Sure. That would be a pretty nice gift. Well then, when you are on your feet again, just call for me, and I'll accept your present."

Tiegan turned around and walked out of the room, not even waiting for the prince's permission. Hu blinked in stupefaction at first, but then grinned:

"She's truly a tigress herself... I must definitely get my hands on her!"