Chapter 27: Tao and Christine

Christine was walking beside Tao in the forest, grown all red, with her eyes cast down in a coquettish manner. Tao had put his hands back and was smirking (the smirk was meant to be sarcastic, but she kept her affectionate mask on). 

"Christine..."

The girl looked up at him with excitement:

"Yes, Tao?"

"Christine, I don't want any secrets to be between us." Tao stroked her cheek. "I intend to be frank with you always. I demand the same from you. We need to do this in order to avoid obstacles that could be posed to us in this palace."

Christine reddened even more - he spoke to her so directly!

"I... I promise my loyalty to you, Tao."

Who's buying that, Christine? You were never loyal to anyone... 

Tamie thought, but her spoken words were different:

"Thank you. Then, I have a question for you, Christine."

"Yes?"

"I... Well, I need to know who you truly work for. You know how hard it is for me to sneak out of the vile 4th prince's residence just to see you... I would be happier if I had some other places where I could meet you."

"Oh..." 

Christine grew sad for the young man - the 4th prince was indeed known to be the most pitiless of all. Imagine him as one's master! Such a horrible fate indeed... So, she gave him a gracious smile: 

"You can meet me at Prince Wang Di's residence at any time. I work in his household. I often carry fruit desserts to various princes, too, so we might as well bump into each other in your master's residence. Prince Wang Di wants me to deliver some fruits to him too, as a present, since he has been away for a whole month in tiresome battles."

Tao widened his eyes:

So, it is all Wang Di's doing! He has indeed used Christine... Deliver fruits to Wang Shao?! No, missy, you're not going to hurt my master a bit!

With these thoughts, he smiled again and caressed Christine on the head:

"That's wonderful news, my dear! So then, I guess I'll give you my thanks..."

He bent towards her, closing his eyes. Christine flushed - he was going to kiss her?! Oh, such a paradise! Their lips indeed moved towards each other... but just as Tao felt that Christine's lips had come too close, he pulled back with a worried gasp:

"Oh, goodness, I almost forgot in your divine vicinity! I promised to appear in my master's room immediately at this hour, and if I break my promise to him something terrible will befall me! I cannot bear his utmost rage - he is even madder now when he has lost his eldest brother!"

At such a fearful reaction on the young man's part, Christine didn't get upset anymore but instead grew sad for him - poor boy, he didn't even have free time to spend with his loved one!

"Ah, I know how hard it is to serve those filthy princes... You can go, Tao." She caressed him on the hair. "We shall meet some other time."

"Oh, you are indeed an angel, Christine!" Tao smiled and stepped back. "Well, until next time, then!" 

He ran off to the palace at a fast speed. 

Whew, I got away just as I had planned... It worked. Now, let's tell it all to His Highness, and of course, to my team too...