Chapter 38: Shao's Proposal

Tamie was later visited by her brother Nick and her friends Liz and Tiegan, who were already wedded to their princes. She was happy to see her friends again, and they too were glad to see her in her original form. Nick hugged her with joy:

"I'm so happy to have my sister back!"

"Thank you for everything, my big bear!" Tamie rubbed his head. They both laughed.

"Well, I guess it's turned out the best way for every one of us," Tiegan said, "We all got from the bottom to the top!"

"Yeah. It's truly amazing..." Liz smiled. "Finally, our dreams came true!"

"You bet! I finally managed to hit that damn Lady Om with a broom!" Tiegan grinned. "And she could say nothing against me because I'm a princess!"

All of the friends burst into laughter.

"Well," Nick turned to Tamie, "now all that's left is for you to marry the emperor and make him free Qartland from Sorovin's clutches."

Tamie cast her eyes down, with a scarlet flush painting her cheeks:

"Well, marriage is still far away..."

"Hmph, you're already lying in his bed! One or two days and you'll have to marry." Liz chuckled. "That is the way of noblemen, especially if you're in such a high position as emperor - you will have to marry right away once fallen in love."

"I know, but he should be the one to propose, not vice versa."

"Take your time." Nick smiled. "But remember - our country still needs our help. Our family needs our help."

"I do remember." Tamie clenched her fists with determination.

What Liz predicted indeed happened: once Tamie completely recovered, Shao asked for her hand in marriage. He didn't do it in an overly romantic way, though, unlike his younger brother Wu who sang serenades to his wife Liz while wooing her. It was not an original way like Hu either, as the 6th prince made a tiger show in the yard and set fire to some pieces of grass all over the stony field, to form the words "marry me" in front of Tiegan's chamber.

One day, when Shao and Tamie were lying in their common bed, Shao turned to her, leaned onto his arm, and spoke in his deep, soft voice, which carried a stern tone as usual:

"I need to talk to you."

"Huh?" Tamie looked up at him in fright, for such a manner of speech reminded her of her elder days as his servant, and back then, Shao's words 'I need to talk to you' always portended a punishment.

"We've been in a relationship for over a month already. I'm the emperor. I cannot spend my time with a servant."

"W-What?"

He meant he was dumping her, just because he had risen in such a high position?!

"So, the thing I wanted to say is, well..." Shao's cheeks grew red. "Would you... accept to become my empress?"

"Eh?" Tamie grew shocked.

"I... I thought... I'd offer you to become my empress... if it's not too much of a burden to you." Shao averted his gaze from her.

Tamie stared at him dumbfounded for quite a while, but then, let out an amused laugh - such a way to propose to someone!

"So, what do you say?" Shao asked, with his heart fluttering in his chest.

"Y... Yes, I'd gladly accept your gracious proposal." Tamie gave him a loving beam.

Shao's single eye brightened with joy:

"Ah, that's amazing! You've made me so happy!"

"I'd say the same, Your Majesty."

Shao pouted:

"I often hear you call your brother 'my bear'. I too want a nice name! Everyone calls me 'Your Majesty', it's boring."

Tamie couldn't help but burst into laughter at such a childish reprimand on the emperor's part. She caressed his hair with the deepest affection:

"Well then, you are already called 'wolf' too, so it is kind of banal. How about... my panda?"

It was Shao's time to burst out laughing. A lustful grin formed on his face:

"I love it."

He grabbed her in his arms and they gave in to their mutual pleasure.