Chapter 30: Preparations for the Emperor's Birthday

"And then we'd better show the Hindian dancers' performance accompanied by the trained tigers, right?" Wang Hu stared at a big scroll - the map of the main square of the Royal Palace where the performances were going to be held for the emperor's upcoming birthday. 

"Yeah, but keep it a little shorter in time because I need to do my solo part too," Tiegan replied. 

They were sitting at a round table and sipping some fragrant green tea. Their tigers - Hu's best friend, white tiger Xuebai, and Tiegan's new "sister" (as she loved to call her), red Bengal tiger Scarlett - were lying together, fondling each other, affectionate of one another just like their masters.

"Yes, you will have your solo time. Then I will join and we'll finish with a duet."

"Good idea. Write it down so you don't forget it." Tiegan chuckled and took a sip of her tea.

"Ugh, it was only one time I forgot to include the tigers-jumping-through-the-fire performance! Why do you think I'm forgetting everything?"

"Because you are!" Tiegan stuck out her tongue. "Go on, write the timetables down. I know you too well already."

Hu laughed:

"Ugh, okay, okay... I could never imagine it was so hard to be a Soutrailian's boyfriend..."

"That's because you've been raised as a mollycoddle prince and not as a free Maarian maiden like me."

"Why would I ever be raised as a maiden?" 

Hu stuck his tongue out back at Tiegan. The latter burst out laughing:

"I meant not that, you dummy!"

Meanwhile, Tao was combing his long brown hair in his room. She had fallen into her thoughts:

To just imagine that all this time, he noticed me and liked me... He indeed didn't pity me back then, but just showed me his support. That was all I ever needed from a guy. He is truly something... If I didn't want to change the world while in this twisted empire of Wanglong, then I'd straightly wish to turn back into a girl and be forever with him. But, even if I do change now, we will still not be together, since he, as a nobleman, is not allowed to spend time with me, a peasant maid. I am of noble heritage, it's true, but it's not enough to stand on equal ground with a prince in this wretched country...

He heard a bell ring. He sprang up, threw the comb on the table, rushed out of his room, and appeared in his master's one. Shao was sitting on his bed with a bare chest and bare feet, wearing only black silken trousers. His body was muscular and scarred, his arms - strong and sturdy, his expression - wise but tired. Tamie's heart bounced with excitement as she saw him in such an awesome state:

He's... so good...

She quickly got a hold of herself and bowed down to him:

"You called me, master?"

"I did. My brothers are visiting the hot springs today, before the emperor's birthday comes. I thought I'd take you along since all of my brothers' private servants will be there. Hu is even bringing that white tiger of his." Shao chuckled.

Tamie widened her eyes - he wanted to take her on a princely get-together?!

Amazing! I will get more acquainted with all of the princes, and maybe, I'll manage to find out what that scum Di and his Ahil Khan are up to...

"It is a great honour for me, Your Highness!"

"Well then, let's go."

Tao bowed, grabbed his black bath-robe and put it on him. Shao adjusted it on his body and they walked out towards the hot-springs together.