Chapter 52: Happy Ending - The Wang Family

While on their way, Liz's mother Daniella and Wang Wu got to know each other, and Lady Schettner felt happy with the choice of her daughter - Prince Wang Wu was indeed a dignified gentleman and a satisfying suitor for Liz. However, their happiness soon got replaced by worry when they finally arrived in the Imperial Palace of Wanglong - Emperor Beilangshen had returned.

"He asked right away why you left your post and defied his order," Jong told Wu as this latter stepped into the palace and, together with Liz and Lady Daniella Schettner, was taken to the main hall where the emperor sat on his throne.

"Yeah. We told him about the revolution in Frankheim and Liz's father's imprisonment, which resulted in your following Liz to help her mother. But I guess he needs to hear the explanation from you personally because he clearly wasn't in a good mood." Hu chuckled.

On the way in the corridors, Tiegan and Tamie met Liz and hugged her:

"Ah, Liz, we were so worried about you!" Tiegan cuddled with her, "I'm glad you've made it!" Then, she greeted Liz's mother: "Hello, Madam Schettner! It is a pleasure to meet you!"

After warm embraces and introductions, they all went to the main hall. All of the viziers had gathered there, including Nick and Astrid. The three princes and the girls walked into the chamber. Hu, Jong, and Tiegan took their places amongst the viziers, while Tamie sat on a throne beside her husband. The others, on their part, stood before the throne of the emperor.

Beilangshen was sitting on his golden throne with a gloomy face. His single blue eye was especially cold and strict now. It frightened Wu, who understood his chances of getting away without a punishment were scarce. He bowed to the emperor, followed by the two Schettner ladies.

"Greetings, Your Majesty!" Wu cried with respect and awe, "I am glad you've returned safely from your travels."

The emperor strictly eyed him, and then spoke with his deep, stern voice:

"5th Prince Wang Wu! Why did you defy my orders and leave your post when I assigned you as the main leader of my empire at the time of my absence?"

Wu gulped when heard such a formal tone of his brother - it didn't portend anything good... He clenched his fists and dropped to his knees before the emperor:

"I beg for your forgiveness for my wrongdoing, Your Majesty! But there was an emergency..."

"Oh," Shao raised an eyebrow, "And what kind of an 'emergency', if I may ask?"

Hearing such strictness and coldness of the emperor, Liz got concerned for her husband. So, before Wu would give a reply, she dropped to her knees too and cried out:

"Please do not punish my husband, Your Majesty! It was I who begged him to accompany me on my journey to Frankheim to aid my mother. If you wish to punish anyone, it is I to be blamed!"

Wu gasped and grabbed her hand with worry:

"Liz! What are you doing?! You can't!"

"You already did what you could for me, Wu. Now it is my time to return the favour." Liz smiled. 

Wu didn't get satisfied with this answer:

"I won't permit you to get punished because of me!"

"Oh, so it was you who took him away from his duties?" they heard the emperor's strict voice. They both stared up at him.

"No, it was my own decision! Please don't punish her!" Wu got distressed.

Tamie was no less worried - what if her husband really punished her friend?! She turned to him to say her word when the emperor asked:

"Wu, do you even realise why I am angry now?"

This was a total change of tone. Wu blinked:

"Because I defied your orders and went to Frankheim?"

"No," the emperor frowned, "I couldn't care less where you travel with your wife. I am angry because you left my empire without your care when I had entrusted it to you. I wonder how you would answer me if during your absence a rebellion broke out, or noblemen attacked the palace, or Hu and Jong seized the throne?!" 

At this, both Hu and Jong blinked with stupefaction:

"But we'd never_"

"I'm theoretically speaking." Beilangshen raised his hand and made them hush.

Wu sweated - he was right... Those risks were big (not Hu and Jong one, of course, but the other two). 

"I... I am terribly sorry for disappointing you, Your Majesty..." he sighed. "I shall accept whatever punishment you desire."

He heard Shao's annoyed sigh. He looked up at his emperor brother with astonishment, only to see him roll his eye and lean back into his throne.

"Ugh, thank heavens you're not an emperor, Wu! You're such a hopeless romantic..." He swung his hand. "Go! No punishment can really change your lovebird attitude. I already knew you'd do something so stupid. I just wanted to be sure you at least managed to fulfill your task and saved your wife's mother." 

He chuckled. He was apparently pretty amused by his brother's deed, as he considered it too childish and overly romantic, which was so unlike himself. Wu sighed with relief at his brother's gentle words. Both he and Liz stood up and bowed to the emperor.

"Thank you, Your Majesty!" Wu said. "I have a humble request, however."

"Speak!"

"Can we please accept Lady Daniella Schettner in the Imperial Palace? She has nowhere to go now that the peasants have gained rule in Frankheim."

"Do you sincerely expect me to say 'no' to such a request, or to send the lady back when she has travelled so far? Do you truly believe I'm such scum?"

"No, Your Majesty, I never meant to offend you! I just_"

"Then stop asking such stupid questions and take your mother-in-law to your household!" Shao cut his speech. 

Wu bowed with gratitude:

"Thank you."

He led Lady Schettner and Liz back into his residence in the palace. It all ended well. Neither Tiegan was left alone, on her part - Hu invited her mother and grandparents to Wanglong, and the family reunited, after so many years. As for Nick, he married Astrid soon after their return to Wanglong and acquired the official title "Bear Prince". Tamie would often say that it suited him since he was "her bear". Nick too often laughed at such a joke of hers.

Thus, the friends formed a giant devoted family, which would lay a base for a powerful, millennial dynasty of the Wang, their successors... with a Dragon Empress at its head.