Don't Count Me Out

" Why should we let you join

" Why should we let you join. You're just a girl. A girl who doesn't understand the word no. " Said, Tracy.

I never understood why a boy with a girl's name would be mean to me. He constantly picked on me, and I never understood why. Years later he told me he was only mean because he liked me. 

I was an extreme tomboy. I didn't like getting my hair done or dressing up. Despite all of this I still wasn't allowed to run with the boys during lunch time. I tried my hardest to show that I could run with the boys. I beat every girl in my grade two times over, and I was sick of racing the same people.  The older girls were completely against running. They claimed it would mess up there pretty outfits, and neatly combed hair. My competition was slowly dwindling.

" That's it Kaylah I've had enough. I want to run with the boys. They think that they are faster than me. But I know in my heart that I can beat them. I know I can." Kaylah, my cousin rolled her eyes as I stomped my feet, and whined.

" Sitting over here and telling me what you want to do is not gonna solve the issue," She said.

I got up and did the unthinkable. I marched over the invisible line that divided the boys and girls during lunch. It was created generations before us and would last many generations after us. For as long as I could remember there was that invisible line. It taunted me every day, but not that day.

I walked over to Tracy's group, but his back was turned to me. I tapped on his shoulder. " Little girl I told you yesterday. You can't run with the boys because you're a girl. " He said loudly.

" I just think you're afraid a girl will beat you. I'm the fastest girl in the third grade. No one can beat me, and I need a challenge. I think you're a scaredy-cat." I Said back.

" You know what I'll race her. She's being really irritating, and I'm tired of this," Said Jay Tracy's best friend said.

I jumped up from so fast you would've thought I had ants in my pants.

" Jay why are you entertaining this little girl." Asked Tracy.

" I don't know. I guess I wanna see what she can do." He said shrugging his shoulders.

" Well let's go. I'm ready." I Said.

Everyone gathered around the starting line. The entire lunch period was surprised I was doing this. I was shocked that Jay even agreed to race me. I've been dreaming of this day for a long time, and when it was finally here I was freaking out. My cousin pulled me to the side.

" Listen to me. You can do this. Just think of it as any other race you've run, and Just take a deep breath. I believe in you." She said.

Jay and I got in our starting positions at the mark.

" You know it's not too late to quit. I would understand if you changed your mind, " He said with a smirk.

" In your dreams," I replied back.

On your mark. Get set. GO!

The one thing people learned that day was to never count me out.  It wasn't my persistence. It wasn't my determination. It wasn't my drive. It was my passion that helped me win the race that day.

And from that day forward I've never been counted out again.