Chapter 10

The world in Peter's subconsciousness was nothing but a murky blackness. He looked around, trying to figure out what was happening. Then a single stream of light appeared, revealing a tiny form curled into a tight little ball, making the poor little one look even smaller. Peter carefully approached as he heard the cries of a child, lost and deeply frightened. He carefully reached out and gathered the trembling form up in the palms of his hands, bringing the tiny child up to eye level. It was then the boy's dark chocolate brown eyes looked up into his own and it was then he realized he was holding the younger version of himself. Suddenly a series of screeching rang out. Peter cupped his younger self protectively closer to his chest, when the blackness ripped the boy from the man. The little Peter cried and screamed as he struggled. "No! Leave him alone! Stay away from him!" Peter lunged for the boy, when the darkness suddenly snagged his wrists, before it started to restrain him. Peter barely had a chance to scream as the darkness struck...  "AHHHH!" Peter thrashed awake, drenched in sweat. He whipped his head around trying to figure out where he was. His heart was thudding furiously, the blood rushing to his head making it throb. It was dark, he was in bed. He sighed heavily, laying his head back in relief. "D-Daddy?" He heard a very faint and fearful voice, looking down he saw Serenity. She gripped his index finger as tears ran down her cheeks, Jason was still out like a light, but his screaming had woken her up and scared her. "Serenity.  Oh my God Serenity. Come here honey." He lowered both of his hands like a scoop, his terrified daughter ran to him. Scooping her up he brought her to his cheek and hugged her gently, both of them crying and sobbing. After a few moments Serenity broke the deathly silence that permeated the room. "What happened daddy? You were yelling and screaming, are you mad at someone?" Peter took a moment to calm down, his heart sank seeing Serenity so terrified. He brought his finger up and stroked her hair and back to reassure her. "It was a bad dream sweetie, it's over now." He wiped his eyes away and gently wiped away his terrified daughter's tears. "Everything is OK now."  He gently transfered Serenity down to his chest and put his hand over and held her lovingly, afraid to let go. "Daddy, your heart is beating fast. Are you sure you are feeling alright?" Peter looked down and gave her a crooked smile, trying to calm his nerves, "I'm sure sweetie." He stroked her trying to get her nerves under control, taking his pad of his finger he put over her wrist and felt her quickened pulse. "Daddy's ok now sweetie, it was just had a bad dream." "Daddy? Can I...?"  He smiled, "Of course sweetie."  He stroked her back with his finger. The mattress creaked loudly when he settled back down, laying on his side he patted his chest with his hand. Serenity was only too happy as she ran towards him and laid up against his chest, his hand resting on her and securing her for the night. Serenity snuggled up happily, looking up at him. "Night daddy. I love you." Peter ran his finger over her head, stroking her hair. "Goodnight sweetie. I love you too."