9. Broken Promises

A few days later, it was the day before the homecoming dance

A few days later, it was the day before the homecoming dance. And since Mom and Dad were over in Europe on a mission, Will and I had the house to ourselves. A couple of days earlier, Layla, Magenta and I had gone shopping for dresses. Even though I didn't dress up very much, I found one that appealed to me.

When Gwen came over to help Will study for a midterm, I left the house, not wanting to be anywhere around her, and went out for a walk.

Getting back to the house, I saw a lot of the students crammed in having a party. My dragon started growling at the sight that I stormed in.

"Will? What is going on here?" I yelled.

"Ava! Thank God you're back!" Will sighed in relief, "You gotta help me get everyone outta here before Mom and Dad get home."

"Look! This is your problem, not mine. And second, your popularity has gotten outta hand that you've been ignoring our friends, our true friends. Third, Gwen is just using you for her own personal gain, and you don't realize that she's been pushing Layla away from you."

I headed out the door pushing against a few other students out of my way.

"AVA! Ava wait!" Will yelled over the loud music as I ran out of the house and threw off my shoes and shifted into my dragon form and took off into the night sky.

I kept on flying, not even caring where I would end up, even across the ocean for all I know. When my wings grew tired I found a lonely cliff and landed gracefully on my feet and laid on my stomach and just looked out at the view solemnly.

Time had seemed to pass. I didn't care what time it was. I could only hope Will had come to his senses and made everyone leave the house. However, I sensed a mix of sadness and anger. I found myself tearing up a bit.

"Ava?" Mom's voice called out. 

I perked and saw her flying in carrying Dad.

"Sweetie? What happened? Where's Will?" she asked in concern as they landed next to me.

Back at the house where a party is going on. I didn't wanna be there anyway, especially since he's now with a bunch of jerks. And you know I can't handle crowded parties. I mind-linked them.

"We'll handle it," Dad nodded.

Thanks. I'll catch up with you guys. 

"It's okay. Take all the time you need," Mom nodded as she hugged and kissed my muzzle and they left.

About a few minutes after they left, I decided that it was time to head back home. I rose to my feet and took off in the air.

Arriving back at the house, I shifted back to human form and headed inside. I saw that the party attendees left finally. Dad must've told them off. Then I learned that Will had told both Mom and Dad that he wasn't going to the homecoming dance. I sensed that he felt bad and that he had broken one too many promises to Layla ever since getting involved with Gwen.

As I was about to head upstairs, I started sensing the same mixed feelings of sadness and anger. I realized that it was coming from next door. Layla! Something probably happened while I was gone. And right at that point, she needed her best friend.

So I headed into my room and packed an overnight bag of a pair of p.j's, a change of clothes, my pillow, toiletries, and my laptop and charger. I pulled my sleeping bag out of the closet and headed down the stairs. I didn't bother to see Will since I figured he needed time alone to sort things out.

"Mom, Dad. Is it okay with you if I go over to Layla's for the night?" I asked on seeing them, "I sensed her feelings that something happened to her earlier this evening. And I feel that she needs a friend."

"Of course sweetie," Mom nodded.

"Absolutely," Dad too nodded, "We'll let her folks know that you'll be over."

"Thanks," I hugged them both.

I was glad that they were aware of my capability to sense every emotion of another person.

"See you guys in the morning," I nodded and headed out the door.

Arriving at Layla's house, her mother greeted me and let me inside as she had been informed by Mom and Dad. She's always been so sweet. On explaining to her about sensing Layla's emotions, her mother agreed to let me stay the night and comfort her.

I headed for Layla's room and gently knocked on the door.

"Lay, it's me," I said softly as I opened the door.

I found my best friend on her bed crying. I entered in and grabbed a box of Kleenex and dropped my bag and sleeping bag and sat on the side of the bed and placed the tissue box next to her.

"Ava?" she sobbed on seeing that it was me.

"I sensed your feelings and thought you needed your best friend," I explained as I pulled out a tissue and handed it to her.

"I didn't see you there."

"I'm sorry. I couldn't handle being at that party. I would've known if you were there, I would've unleashed her."

Layla nodded forgiving me. I could tell that Gwen had said something to her that made my best friend broken up emotionally.

The next time I see Gwen, I'm singeing her for hurting Layla!  my dragon growled ready to defend our friend.

I pulled Layla into a hug and let her cry into my shoulder. She told me what had happened at the party. Like before, I felt my dragon snarling at the way she was received by Gwen. And, I expressed to her of my telling Will that he had his own problems to deal with, and I wasn't about to get involved in his issues and the fact that Gwen had pushed away our other friends from him.

"So, did you see him when you got back?" Layla asked as she pulled away to blow her nose.

"No. I figured he needed time alone and to sort things out," I answered, "I have a feeling that he won't be making it to homecoming after what happened."

"That's too bad."

"I know. Guess my plan sorta worked out, not too great."

"I think it might've."

After getting into our p.j's, the two of us watched a couple movies and played Trivial Pursuit for the rest of the night until we fell asleep.