⚔️Three

Someone's footsteps were enclosing on me, I continued to run. I won't stop, even if it means that I die, at least I'd die peacefully.

“Amber!” Jack's voice rang inside my head. I nearly tripped on a stick I didn't see. I ducked under a low hanging branch and slipped on the moist ground.

I tried standing up but something held me down. A vine was wrapped thickly around my ankle, and it was digging deep. I sat upright and tried to break it off but to no avail. Jack's footsteps seemed closer. I wanted to yell out, to tell him that I'm stuck, can he please save me, but then again, I don't want to. Jack has lied far too many times, right to my face. I thought he loved me I guess I was wrong.

I suddenly remembered that I am linked to nature. I closed my eyes and put my hands over the vine and started chanting a chant under my breath, as I don't want Jack to hear me. The vine slowly rolled off, once it was completely off, I healed myself and stood up. I started to run again when a strong hand tightened itself around my neck.

“Going somewhere Amber?” I was completely disgusted by this man. I don't care what his name is, I don't even want to know. Air immediately wanted to leave my lungs.

“Oh crack off Dwarfy.” I croaked out. He grinned at me. That's when I saw Jack, behind him, grinning like the douche he is.

“Fiesty are we?” His grip tightened and I could hear my own pulse. I felt as if my eyes were going to fall out. My air circulation was immediately cut off. (I actually asked someone to strangle me so I can feel how it feels, that's what I experienced. Dunno bout y'all.)

“Jack....” I whispered into the air. He looked at me one last time before my world went completely dark, but before that, Dwarfy grinned like a maniac.

×××
My head throbbed with every breath that I took. And my head spinned with every breath I exhaled. Dwarfy woke me up a few minutes ago, not the nice way though. My cheek aches till now. Jack said nothing, I don't expect him to anyway. He made it clear that he wants nothing to do with me anymore when he let Dwarfy strangle me. We stopped in front of the Chief. He examined me before clearing his throat, which was utterly useless.

“Repeat after me mortal.” He glanced at me. “I, Amber Crawford, vow to protect the humans from harms way.”

I sighed, I never wanted to be a Protector. I am happy being a healer. I want to have a family, and if I become a Protector, I won't be able to have one. But I will be able to protect the people and their families. I took a deep breath in and out. “I, Amber Crawford, vow to protect the humans from harms way.”

“And to never let a human die under my watch.” I'm not certain I can promise that Chiefy. I rolled my eyes.

“And to never let a human die under my watch.” I mentally pouted.

“And to fulfill my duty as a Protector.” I eyed the Chief, I am a healer, not a Protector.

But I said the line anyway. “And to fulfill my duty as a Protector.”

Dwarfy applauded me and walked over to my side. He grinned. “You are now fully a Protector.”

“What of my Colors? Will I be stripped of them?” I asked out of pure curiosity. I needed to know, if I loose my colors, I loose myself.

“You weren't listening at the ceremony were you darling? Anyway, no, you won't be stripped of your current colors. As I said at the ceremony, the Protector this year will be special. Since you are a healer and since your colors link you to humans, nature and animals. You can also end their lives if you want to darling. Just saying.” Dwarfy winked at me. I looked at Jack, it's like he's a puppet or a robot. He hasn't said anything in the few hours I've been here.

“Good to know.” I tsked. Dwarfy chuckled before grabbing my wrist.

“Attitude!” He giggled to himself. I cocked my head at him. What's wrong with this guy?

“What's your name Beast?” I meant no harm by that but the tone in my voice said otherwise.

“I'm no beast mortal. I'm simply Immortal, my name is Theodore, but Theo for short and I also go by Jason, it's my second name. This way.” He dragged me down the hallway. We fell into silence after that.

We stopped at a room. Theo cleared his throat. “This is your room, get ready. You need to train as soon as possible. You are our last hope on defeating the Giants and the Seven Headed Dog.” With that, Dwarfy disappeared.