Inner Sanctum

A/N: The aftermath of the shower scene, continuation of previous. Please do rate & comment! I love to read each and every one of your comments. Bonus points if they make me laugh, or make me pause to think if it's a thoughtful critique :)

NORTH

We follow Sang Baby as she leads us up the back stairs to her room. Silas pauses in front of the bathroom, pointing out the splintered door he smashed in and the wooden stool lying in pieces on the tiled floor.

Sang's pale delicate face. Her tiny, drenched body, shivering under the constant spray of water. Arms and feet bound. Sitting there alone, for hours and hours. Not knowing if her mother would come . . .

My fists clench.

The barest graze of a warm hand brings me back, forces me to turn. Si shake his head, and I meet his eyes. He returns an equally grim nod, and I move over to let the others pass while he and I stare at the door, planning on how to fix the goddamn thing.

OWEN

Miss Sorenson twists the handle to her door and steps in. Mr. Coleman, Mr. Lee and I gather inside to see her frozen in the middle of her room.

The bookshelf sprawls half-broken across the carpet, the books having scattered, some torn. Sheets of paper lie strewn about, on the bed, the floor, some flutter in the breeze from the open window. A large, wooden is open, and what I assume are its contents dumped on the floor nearby. Miss Sorenson's clothes spill out from the closet. The mattress is balanced precariously against the bed, half on and half off the floor, sans sheet, which lies in a wrinkled heap at the foot.

Miss Sorenson's bedroom, to put it nicely, is a mess.

I realize that it's the first time I've stepped foot in her room. The first time for a glimpse deeper into her world, a chance to get to know her better.

But I never expected her to be so . . . disorganized.

I look down at her, my mouth turning into a frown as I study the room again. "Was it like this before?" I can't help but ask.

Miss Sorenson shakes her head, almost vehemently, I muse. "I had my school books on the bed but..." Her voice trails off.

My suspicions, as usual, are confirmed. Miss Sorenson is not this messy. Something akin to satisfied approval flits inside my chest, and I tamp it down quickly. Not the time for feelings in this moment.

"She was looking for something." Mr. Lee kneels down, his hands on the edge of the bookshelf. I walk over and take the other side, and together we lift it back up against the wall. "What would she want?" he asks.

I watch Miss Sorenson from against the wall. Her cheeks flush brightly. She turns to Mr. Coleman, and he speaks for her again. "She said her mom found the notes from the boys at school and the detention slip; that's when she flipped out. But the room was intact mostly then. She must have come back looking for more."

A few notes from boys and a detention slip? That was all it took? "If she found more," I say, my voice grave, "this might have been much worse."

VICTOR

I hang back by the door, not really moving until North appears, holding up a pink iPhone. "It was in the tub," he says, to Sang, but looking at me. "I don't think it's working."

Sang leans in to whisper something to Gabe again. "She says she's sorry, Victor." He smirks. "Shut up," he says, and chops her on the head.

Sorry? Sorry?! For what, having a mother hell-bent on murdering her own daughter? Sorry for breaking a replaceable item when it wasn't even her fault?