Chapter 19 - Hold this Green Plant

Chapter 19

Hold this Green Plant

For the next two days, I didn't go home. I went to Abbie's apartment and stayed hidden there playing Call of Duty: Ghosts. Abbie kept complaining that she couldn't understand why I was playing the irrelevant middle child of the COD universe to which I replied that her face was an irrelevant middle child. Ghosts was basically the only COD game I ever played and I needed to shot people in the face so my friend could shut her trap.

I basically spent the two days in borrowed sweatpants, living on Abbie's couch. I would lie down on my side when I was starting to feel tired and fall asleep. Wake up, eat Cheetos, drink Scotch, and repeat.

I was a greasy, cheesy, sleepy mess.

"It's intervention time," Abbie announced the afternoon of the third day I'd been crashing on her couch when she got back from work in the evening.

"Because you think I need to deal with my first world problems?" I asked.

"No, because you're hoarding the good TV and I want my Playstation back," she replied, dead serious and let herself fall on the couch beside me.

"You're not doing this for the good of your bestfriend?"

Abbie took off her flashy scarf, kicked off her Converse and grabbed the Scoth bottle on the table before taking a swing. "Of course I am. My best friend is that Playstation console."

I shook my head sadly. "See, this is why I don't go to you for comfort."

She pointed to TV with her chin. "You come to me to shoot people in the face."

I motioned between us. "This is healthy."

She snorted and drank again. "Oh yeah definitely."

"So, talking?"

"Yep, talking."

I made a face. "Ew."

Abbie made a face too. "I know."

One of the great things about being friends with Abbie was that we could talk about anything and everything but we rarely dwelled on our feelings. We were both emotionally deficient, to say the least. Maybe that wasn't exactly a good thing though. "Why are we doing it then?" I asked.

"Oh that's entirely your fault, not mine."

I pouted, leaning back into the couch. "Life sucks."

"What's going on?" she asked me, getting more comfortable on the couch, tucking her legs besides her. "Trouble in your panties again?"

"Victor wants to marry me and Landon wants me to figure my life out."

"Wow, dump both of them."

I could have sang Halleluiah. I did raise my hands towards the sky. "See, I hadn't really considered that option but now that you mention it."

"It's not because you have two guys that are interested in you that you necessarily need to end up with either of them. If it's too much work, why put in the effort?" she wondered.

That was definitely the total opposite of what people in relationships said. Maybe I should have asked the opinion of someone that had a boyfriend in this millennium. "Aren't relationship work though?"

"Maybe, but shouldn't a relationship be effortless? If you seriously need to work for it, doesn't it mean that it's not really meant to be?" Abbie pressed.