Chapter 13: Work, school, and piano

C h a p t e r   T h i r t e e n 

"Reservation, Worthington."
The voice was deep, stern, and succinct. I knew he was expecting prompt service. 

 I looked up at a well-dressed older gentleman in a suit. He took his top hat off, revealing a tuff of receding light blonde hair, set against his hard face. There were two other men behind him, both of whom were also staring at me expectantly. 

When these people came in, it wasn't hard to notice their arrival; they'd each arrived in their own stretched limos with personal chauffeurs. They walked with a certain 'air' about them. 

We weren't strangers to having rich and affluent people dining at the restaurant, but it was rarer to see customers turn up with personal drivers. Usually, others would drive their nice cars and park them outside themselves as we were a more semi-casual establishment. And sure, people usually dressed well, but the men in front of me didn't even offer so much of a polite smile or make any small talk; it made me think that whoever they were, they were probably about strict business.

Crossing off the booking from the notepad and gesturing through the restaurant, I bowed my head slightly. "Absolutely Sir, table for five in the private room. If you'll please follow me this way."

We walked stiffly through the restaurant into the hall where the private function rooms were located. It was secluded, away from the noise of the main dining room. 

This was definitely our grandest room available. Hanging was a gold-leafed pendant chandelier where a giant gold-framed hand-drawn map of the world hung as a backdrop. At the dining table, the cushions on the chairs were a luxurious felt and the wooden legs –  the heavy ones that would scrape your regular wooden floors– matched the mahogany table top. The decor was elaborate, even for an establishment like ours. 

The room was only ever booked out a few times a year, and despite having helped out before, this was the first time I was the only server in charge. They'd requested it to be that way, fewer interruptions they'd said. It left me shaking in my boots. 

I placed the menu carefully in front of each person, hoping they couldn't see how jittery I was. Situations like this always made me incredibly anxious about messing up; never mind that they were all menaffluential men– doing the wrong thing could ruin our reputation. I felt like I had 15 years of my parent's credibility on my shoulders. 

After bringing out some expensive champagne to the group, I walked through the hallway to allow them time to view the menu in private before breathing out in relief.

Out there, suddenly like in slow-motion, a recognizably tall and golden-locked goddess came waltzing into my field of view. She was headed in the same direction as the private room. 

Oh my god, my mouth dropped. It was Lea Worthington! 

Instead of the date she had last time, this time following close behind her was an older man dressed in a long white robe, complete with a tall white hat with golden ornate trimmings. He seemed to be a Pope or someone high up in the Church. His robe looked really expensive, practically like everyone else in the room the private room. 

Seeing this could only mean one thing, and that is that the guy in the room – the one who made the reservation, Worthington – was Lea's father! Why didn't I notice this before? He even had the same coloured hair! 

I remembered doing a research essay on Lea Worthington for my grade ten "Who inspired me the most?" English topic, and reading that her father, Simon Worthington, was not only a CEO of a multi-million dollar trading company but also the chairman of the state education board. My hands started getting sweaty again. 

As she came closer, I pinched myself, unable to contain my excitement. Lea was here in our restaurant again! Upon passing me, she stuck her hands out and gave me a small wave.

"Food and service here were great last time, had to recommend it," Lea whispered with a wink as she and the other gentlemen entered the room. I almost passed out from shock and pride as it seemed she remembered me. Somehow I managed to hold it together.