Chapter 24: Heart Sickness

You can play the music now or later. Mr Green will be playing this song in this  passage.  

_~❤~❤~❤~_

C h a p t e r    T w e n t y    F o u r 

I couldn't help but feel betrayed by his words. Tell each other anything?

"I... "
There was nothing to say that he would've liked to hear anyway. I couldn't sit here and agree with such a statement. 

Since when was he going to tell me about Lea and how they were obviously together? I get that it didn't really have anything to do with me, but I don't know... Why couldn't he have slipped a few hints that night like:

"Oh, I like this restaurant's curry, I tried it with Lea."  

Or casually mention something like: 

"here, Lea left her sweat pants from last time and I think you'd be able to fit them."

You know, something to warn me right from the beginning and to not let me get a head of myself. Then maybe, I wouldn't be feeling so down right now. 

That jerk didn't even let me know how he was after I took care of him all day and spent the week worrying about him! And we all know how he decided to announce his return to the public... Yeah, by locking lips with his supposed celebrity girlfriend. 

~❤~ You can play the song above here. 

Mr. Green, discontent that I wasn't going to continue my words, combed his fingers through his hair with a sigh and turned to the piano again. He closes his eyes and exhaled. The next thing I know, he starts to play and music filled my ears. 

His playing was smooth and profound with his fingers dancing gently across the keys delivering the most perfectly rich tones. The melody resonated around the study in an elegant timbre, reaching in and grasping my heart, prodding at my anger bubble. I wanted to stay mad but his playing was slowly making me forget the hostility. I couldn't look away.

The raised veins on his arms twitched hypnotically against his muscles as he controlled the tempo and dynamics effortlessly. There was something captivating about watching him play, the way he looked and the music he produced, it seemed like something out of a dream. 

So this was Jasper Green, the piano prodigy, I thought. I could feel that this was the real him; as if this, was what he was created to do. It was a shame that he was keeping it from everyone, his music was a rarity, a refuge.

A healing sensation. It was the first time I'd heard him play, and it was enough to merit his whole existence to me. 

"Bar sixty three, three count holds with the pinky then two and a half beat rests in between." He  remarks suddenly with a soft voice, snapping me out of out my trance. I turn towards him and noticed that his eyes were still shut. 

What the heck... Did he memorize everything down to the bar number and fingering? 
That's impossible!

Sure enough as he played, his eyes continued to move left and right methodically behind his eye lids as if he was imagining the music score in his mind, giving me no doubt that it was ingrained in there. 

"Pianissimo" He whispered as his fingers moved effortlessly.  "Keep the melody louder in the lower segment of the bass staff only where the phrases starts and ends. Right hand is accompaniment for now until the switch after the bass B flat on seventy." 

Shoot! I quickly remember hat I was meant to write these points down. I grab the manuscript from the stand and a pencil in the other hand and attempted to follow along closer. As Mr. Green continued to sprout guidances at the top of his head I questioned why the heck did he insist on me sitting here if he was going to have his eyes closed anyway. He didn't even need the music sheet!

But then again watching him play, especially being up this close was on a whole other level.  I never felt more incapable in my whole life. It seemed, no amount of practise I did could ever come as close to comparison; a jagged, newborn volcanic rock can not hold light to the smoothness of a pebble that had been weathered to perfection over centuries.