Chapter 23: Soft rain on the window pane

C h a p t e r    T w e n t y   T h r e e 

"DUDE!!!" Mandy screamed at me through the call. "MAX ASKED YOU TO THE BALL AND YOU DIDN'T FREAKING THINK TO TELL ME!?"

I held my mobile away from my ears for a bit before propping it up with my shoulders to free my hands. "I'm sorry! It only happened yesterday and I didn't get to see you after because of the stupid meeting." 

I finish packing my piano manuscripts into my bag and checked for my wallet and keys.

"I had to find out through Luke, who found out on Friday. It looks like Max was too excited to keep it a secret and bragged about it to the guys." She giggled. "Oh my god, congrats! I'm so excited for you!"

"Yeah!" I grimaced heavily and forced lightness in my voice. I hope she couldn't sense the uneasiness I felt. 

"How did it happen anyway? Tell me! TELL ME!"

"Uh, well..." I waved to Mum who was on the couch relaxing before her shift started later that afternoon and headed out the door to the bus stop. "We were walking to class after we were done with the giving Lea and the crew a tour... and he just sort of asked?"

Okay, maybe I was missing a few details such as how the embarrassing moment was witnessed by the very two people I least wanted to see. But I guess now it was all irrelevant; what's done is done and there was no backing out anymore. 

"Awww is that so? How sweet! Oh man, you just reminded me. I think I saw Lea driving off in her posh ass convertible while I was in Math! How cool was it that you guys get to meet her, I'm absolutely jealous! Maybe I should've joined the ball committee too... Damn it."

"Yeah, it was really nice," I lied. I had a miserable time because I think it was Lea who made me finally realised my true feelings, and god did it hurt. And now I must remind myself that these feelings don't matter at all; they were doomed from the beginning.

"Anyway, what about you?" I quickly switched the subject.

"What about me?"

"Do you have anyone in mind you'd like to go with?" Like Luke? I still remembered that I had to help him think of a plan to ask Mandy to the ball, but things had been so busy lately that I barely had time to stop and think. 

"Anyone I minded going with? No at all really, except for you. Rose, I was hoping to go with you as my partner but now my dreams are taken. How could you betray me?!" She sniffed sadly in a playfully manner. "I guess I shall go alone by myself, or I could just be a third wheel!"

I gave myself a small head palm as her sentiments completely mirrored mine – I was mean't to third wheel her! Grrrr, damn it Max. Why did you have to ask me?

Anyway, despite my intentional probing, Mandy was yet to admit her true feelings and I wasn't about to give up until I got it. "Aww Mands, you don't have to go alone silly! You should definitely go with someone and then we can all go together as a group." 

"Yeah, but who though? There's like no one in this school I'd really want to go with."

"You sure about that? No one?" Come on, Mandy.

"Yeah! I mean, I thought of Max. You know, just as friends, but you're already going with him. Which don't get me wrong – I am super stoked for you – but I was just saying that I can't really think of anybody else," she replied. 

"Oh, but what about Luke?" Take the bait... 

Suddenly she bursted out laughing so loud through the phone that I had to hold it afar again. "Luke? ! No way! Why would I want to go with him? No offense but, no thanks!"