Chapter 26: Snake Grips in Auditoriums and Music Rooms

C h a p t e r    T w e n t y   S i x

Max lugged a bag full of heavy cords and miscellaneous electronic parts over his right shoulder, his left hand already preoccupied with a long standing fan. Meanwhile I waddled closely behind, dragging a big ladder I'd borrowed from the gardener that I seemed to be chained to lately. It was the ladder I use to hold up the light reflectors and I had to take it here, there and everywhere around the school as we shot at many locations. At this rate, it might as well be mine.

"So where exactly are we taking these to?" Max asks.

"Back to the auditorium." I replied, gritting through my teeth as I felt another bruise forming around my ankles. The metal leg from the ladder somehow always manage to dig into the same exact spot. Bloody piece of junk!

"Back? What was wrong with the gymnasium? I thought they wanted to film Annie playing sports with the rest of the other special needs students."

"Lea didn't like the draft that came in through the windows in the gym – the wind frizzles out her hair apparently."

Max stops in his spot and looks questioning at the purpose of the fan he was carrying. I rolled my eyes before answering the question on his mind. "Yeah, she still insisted on having a fan inside the auditorium, you know even though the whole point of moving to the auditorium was to avoid the wind."

My friend laughed in disbelief beside me. "So, you're telling me, this means they also have to set up the portable basketball hoops in the auditorium even though there are four perfectly good ones in the gymnasium?"

I shrugged my shoulders, I'd long given up trying to follow the logic and demands of showbiz.
"Just go with the flow... I mean I'm glad one of us is having a great time."

We arrive in the auditorium where everybody else were gathered waiting, Cassie who sat in the director's chair was fawning over herself on the camera screen having a grand old time as one of the attractive camera boys had filmed her for fun. If only she knew their pretty faces was pretty lazy. I'd learnt that the camera guys were newly hired, and it seemed the guns on their arms were just for show as I was stuck with the job of carrying all the junk around. Honestly, they must think it was sacrilegious to help lift heavy things besides their egos. 

I stood the ladder up safely to the side before helping Max to settle the fan down. "Right, let's set up here. Do you mind running one of the extension wires from the bag you're holding to a power socket? I believe it's behind seat section two."

He gives me a salute. "Ay ay director Rose!"

I rolled my eyes and shook my head at him. "Director? Dude, far from it. More like slave girl Rose. Anyway, I have to go back to the gymnasium to pick up the light reflectors. I'll be right back." I thank Max for the help before jogging tiredly out the stadium towards the gym.

When I finally made it back to the auditorium, down the front I see that the studio spot light system had been turned on. The filming crew must have deemed it adequate enough as they had already started shooting before I even got here with the light reflectors they insisted on having for every single take. I take a look at the huge disks I had just ran crossed the school to retrieve and tried not to curse out loud.

Far out. That means I brought the heavy ass ladder all for nothing too! They were doing just fine without me. 
I throw the reflectors on the row seat beside me and took a seat, puffing out my annoyance. ARGH! I guess it means that they don't need me to stick around for this scene, thank god. I thought to make use of this opportunity to take a small rare break. Maybe I'll even take a nap back here, I don't think anybody would notice.