Chapter Eighteen

As the girls had expected, camping was just a little short of being the best thing ever. Sasuke had spoiled them with the luxury of hotels, warm baths, and soft beds. Now they weren't even sure that they had the strength to actually put up a tent.

"There are bugs everywhere.." Karin groaned. Hinata smacked the abusing insect on her upper arm and nodded. "This is terrible.. maybe we are too close to a water source.."

"There isn't a specific water source.." Suigetsu added from off to the side. "There are puddles of water littered all over the terrain, and if you go two hours in either direction you run into the ocean. So there is no escaping the bugs, ladies." Karin stepped over and dropped the tent supplies into Suigetsu's arms. "Glad to hear you're volunteering, Suigetsu."

"H-hey..!" Suigetsu screeched and Hinata sighed and sauntered off, leaving them to take part in their hourly argument session. She stepped over to Sasuke, who was putting together his own tent almost expertly.

"Why?" Hinata asked gently as she approached him from behind. Sasuke stepped to the side and looked down at her inquiring figure. "Why what?"

"Why this?" She motioned toward the tent stakes in his hands. "Why don't we hit up a hotel..?"

"We need to maintain a low profile.."

"We can't do that in a hotel...?" Hinata pouted just a slight bit. Sasuke gave her a look and she bit her lip nervously. "Right.. I understand.. Sorry." He staked the tent down securely and unzipped the front of it. "Did you and Karin fix your tent?"

"Suigetsu is working on it.."

"Ah.." Sasuke grabbed his sleeping bag and tossed it inside the tent lazily. "Sasuke..?" He arched a brow and pushed some hair off his forehead. "Hn?"

"I was thinking.. maybe I should give Karin and Suigetsu their own tent..that way Jugo could have more room and.. I could bunk with you.." She had her hands clasped together in front of her as she twiddled her thumbs, a nervous habit she could never really kick. Sasuke took a gentle step forward so that he was maybe a mere six inches away from her, looking down at her.  "Are you asking permission to sleep with me?"

Hinata face turned red and she looked away from him, "Not like that! Don't say it like that! I just.. feel... safer is all."  He glanced down at her twiddling thumbs then back up to her face as she continued, "And you've never minded it before.. you used to try and make me do it, remember? Well now I'm willing."

"Yeah and I'm wondering if it's a plot to kill me in my sleep."

"Sasuke!" She jerked her head up and her lighter colored eyes met his. He was wearing a sly smirk on his mouth, "Okay, I'll protect you."

If Hinata had ever felt instant regret for anything in her life, this situation would apply.  She had no intention of stroking his ego whatsoever. "Well if you're gonna be like that about it just forget it..!" She turned away from him and started off in Karin's direction only to be pulled back by the arm.

"Come on, it's a joke. Maybe I need you to protect me." Hinata looked over her shoulder at him, "Oh?" Sasuke turned her around fully and pulled her closer to him. "Don't get handsy, Uchiha."

"At least go in the tent..!" Suigetsu whined loudly and Hinata pulled away out of embarrassment. That was before she realized he hadn't even been talking to them.

"Shut up, Suigetsu! Don't tell me what to do!!" Karin yelled as she slipped into the newly erected tent. "Hinata you coming?" She called out and Sasuke shook his head, "She's going to share with me, just in case her pursuers make an appearance." Karin poked her head out and arched a brow, "Do I have to sleep with Suigetsu? Jugo..!" She called out to the larger man loudly and Suigetsu shoved her into the tent he managed to toss together. "Oh shut up!"