Chapter 6

When we got back to the clearing everyone else was already there, including Olly and Isaac who both looked incredibly happy, but they were being very careful around each other, making sure they weren't too close. 

That's what it seemed like anyway. 

 Nate and Seth were making the logs into a tepee shape and they smiled when we came back. 

"Got some good logs?" Nate asked, and we nodded. 

"Yeah! We're the best log get-erers out there!" Max exclaimed happily and my mind went back to the conversation earlier. 

Leah had obviously suggested something about his good mood and I was still trying to figure out what it was. 

I shrugged then went to sit on a log beside Leah. 

Tessa and Olly were talking to the twins and Seth - and now Max - while they set up the fire. I would have been no use. I could set up fires inside a fireplace but I hadn't the slightest clue about bonfires. 

"How did you go with getting logs and stuff?" I asked Leah, putting my hands in Max's jacket's pockets.

"Good. Although Nate kind of knew where everything was so I felt kind of useless. But I didn't stop laughing so it was pretty good!" Leah said,  looking over to where Nate was standing with a smile, then back to me. "And I gather yours went well?" She asked, eyeing my two jumper's, one way too big. 

"Oh shush," I rolled my eyes but couldn't contain my smile. "Nothing happened. I got cold. End of story."

"Awh that's so cute!!" Leah squealed, making me shake my head at her, but the smile was still there. 

I didn't like it. I usually didn't smile this much and I shouldn't be smiling for that reason. 

You dislike Max. He is no good for you. You don't like him. You don't want to be friends. 

I had to repeat that to myself a few times before it sunk in. 

After an hour the bonfire was all ready and both Isaac and Nate lit the fire from either side with practiced caution. It was clear that they had done this many times. 

"Do you guys want to go get some dinner? I'll watch the fire," Isaac volunteered and we all nodded. 

It was six and we hadn't eaten anything since lunch. 

Everyone went to the kitchen except me. I wanted to put on some sweatpants and thicker socks for under my shoes, maybe find some gloves if I could. 

I closed the door behind me and searched for my black sweats, pulling them on after stripping out of my jeans.

I kept Max's nice-smelling jumper on and put my thick socks on, then slid back into my shoes. 

When I walked back out to the kitchen everyone was making their dinner. 

Leah and Tessa saw that I had changed so they finished making their dinner - which was sandwiches - then got changed before they went back outside with dinner. 

Olly had made two sandwiches - as had most of the guys - but when I walked back out with him he gave it to Isaac. 

Everyone else was still inside, getting changed or making more food, so I took this as an opportunity to ask them about, well, them. 

We were all standing on one side of the bonfire so I knew they'd be able to hear me. "Not to make you guys uncomfortable or anything, but are you two a thing?"

Olly looked at Isaac clearly questioning and he shrugged, but I could see the concern on his  face. 

"Yeah, we are," Isaac said, smiling a bit, but the worry was still taking over his face. "Please don't tell anyone, especially Nate. I don't really want to have to tell my family yet."