Chapter 21

A/N: Hey guys! Sorry the last chapter was all over the place and all but I was writing the epilogue at the same time so I was jumping between different emotions and times and stuff. Anyway, sorry about that. Hopefully this one makes a bit more sense! The song (you'll know the one) is on the side along here somewhere >> It's a fantastic song! Anyway don't foget to vote and read and comment. Enjoy.

*****************

One thing that I didn't like about parties was the dressing up.

Sure, dressing up could be fun but it was infuriatingly difficult when boys were involved in the process.

"Oh my God, no. Nate, put it down," Leah said carefully, her eyes widening at the sight of Nate with the hair straightener in his hands.

Sighing, I picked my way over to the ensuite. Tessa had already done my makeup so I just needed to put my dress on.

"Want me to help you put your dress on?" I heard Max call from the opposite side of the room where he was sitting on the ground beside Seth, Isaac, Olly and Chase.

They had all started off wanting to help but soon realised they were no use, so they retreated to the corner of the room and watched. However, Nate was still trying.

"You're better at getting girls out of their dresses," Nate called, and the same time I said, "I'd love to see you try."

All the boys seated against the wall laughed.

"Is that an invitation?" Max asked and I could hear the stupid smirk on his face.

I had no idea why he had his mask on tonight, but I turned, leaning my back against the doorframe and looking sideways at him, attempting to be seductive. "Damn straight it is," I winked, then turned just after I saw his shocked expression.

I half expected him to come running into the ensuite but the door handle never even budged.

I'm not sure if I was happy or dissapointed....

I shrugged off my top and jeans and slid into my turquoise dress that matched the pendant around my neck.

Everyone went quiet when I walked back into the room. Tessa was finishing up Leah's makeup but I was focussed on Max who had a peaceful smile resting on his face.

How could he go from the annoying, smirking idiot one minute to looking like the normal guy I had essentially become friends with?

Why was he always switching between real and fake?

"Max," I adressed him, walking barefoot across the room and to the door. He glanced at me questioningly and when I jerked my head towards the door, he nodded.

I walked down the hall to the dining room, hearing Max's footsteps behind me. I took a seat on one side of the table and he sat on the other.

"What the hell is with the mask?" I asked him, searching his green eyes for an answer but I came up without one.

"You know how I said we needed to have a real day?" He asked, a frown consuming his face. I nodded, vaguely remembering a conversation about masks. "No masks? No nothing?" He asked and I nodded again. "Yeah, well, how about next Saturday? My family is going to see my cousins and uncle that just moved here from Canada, but someone has to stay behind because we don't want to take two cars. So how about you come over to mine and we just hang out?"

"Okay..." I trailed, not sure with what else to say.

Honestly, I would've said yes to spending any time with Max, and this would help me figure him out a bit more.