T E N

I woke up several hours later with something cold and sharp digging into my wrists.  I couldn't quite see what it was because the room was so dark, but I think they were some sort of shackles or chains.  

From the tiny bit I could see with it being so dark I could tell I was in a dungeon, which in any other circumstance would be awesome, but not in this one.  The ceiling was low and somebody taller than me probably wouldn't be able to stand up completely straight.  The walls were, well they were what  I presume to be stone, caked in layers of what  I hoped was just dirt.  There was a large oak door across from me, with metal bars over a five by five square window.

I pulled myself up with the help of my chains.  It was then that I noticed that I was not alone in the room.  There were two other prisoners also being held captive in the godforsaken dungeon.  

A man was to my left, and what looked like... a near toddler was lying in the corner to my left.  The kid was a girl, I could tell because she was wearing a dress and there was a pink bow in her hair.  Lying curled up in the fetal position sleeping, I could hear her quiet breathing so I knew she wasn't dead.  She looked so sad and helpless though, I just wanted to hold and tell her everything was going to be all right.  Poor kid...

As for the man, he made no sound, no movements, nothing.  At first I swore I thought he was dead, then he spoke.

He made a weird gargling noise, which I am again presuming was supposed to be words. It seemed like he was having quite a bit of trouble.  He fell back against the wall and stopped trying to speak after about, what felt like an hour. 

I sat back down too, legs now sore from standing so long.  I guess I must have dozed off, because when I woke up a man was at the door, unlocking it.  Quickly, I jumped back up, pressing my back up against the wall.  

The door swung open on its old rusted hinges and the man stepped into the room.  He walked closer towards me, holding something in his hands, it looked kind of like a tray of sorts.  Surprisingly he didn't say anything, and he didn't try and hurt me, he just gently set the tray down in front of me, went back to the door grabbed another one, placed it in front of the girl, and then the worst happened. Instead of bringing back another tray of food for the man, he brought back a bag of what appeared to be blood.

"Berneal," the food man spoke "Wake up.  You need to eat to keep your strength."  

The mans head rose up, now with the room filled with a bit of light from the open doorway I could see his face.  My jaw dropped and for a second I could do nothing except stare.  The man reached and grabbed the blood bag and I kid you not, drank it all within seconds.  The food cart man took the empty bag and handed him another one.

I heard the food man whisper "Shh I know I'm only supposed to give you one, but... well you know."

I continued to stare at the man as he devoured the second bag.  He couldn't be... no.. he just couldn't.

All hopes of it not being him were crushed when I heard Berneal say "T... thank Y...you."

It was then that I was finally able to bring myself to say something, it came out sounding weak and barely above a whisper, but I looked at the man again and said "D...Dad?"