Family Reunion

Robin runs across the rooftops of his city. Slade gave him no way of getting to Gotham, and he'll never make it in time if he goes by foot. Slade is testing him, seeing how he'll adapt to the circumstances.

Robin watches the cars below. The traffic is coming to an end, the streets are clearing, and soon he and the crime of Jump city will be all that's left. He ducks into an alley where a motorcycle was left unsupervised. His chest tightens. This is what he wants me to do. He wants me to steal again. He knows I don't have a choice.

Robin's chest gets tighter and tighter as he hotwires the motorcycle. His hands feel heavy and useless, and he can taste salt on his lips. The bike flares to life, and Robin makes a mental note to bring it back to that same spot. Slade may hold his friends' lives hostage, but not his conscience.

The apprentice drives far beyond the speed limit of the highway, eyes narrowed behind the mask and visor. At this rate, he'll reach Gotham by... 8:30 pm. That leaves him plenty of time to get in and get out.

Once he enters the outskirts of Gotham city, he drives off the road that should lead to Wayne Manor and circles the premise, finding the hidden access door in the mouth of a cave. It only opens to members of the Bat family, to a chip in their suits. Luckily, Robin swiped the chip before Slade confiscated his suit. It sits snuggly in the pinky finger of his right glove.

He hides the motorbike and opens the hatch quietly, taking out the sensor with one of Slade's throwing knives before it records Robin's entrance. Even in the dark, he's memorized the location of every sensor and security camera in the entire cave. This is why only he can smoothly complete this mission.

He descends into the cave, keeping to the shadows and the corners that the cameras neglect, and spots the giant bat computer he's supposed to hack into. He takes a single step before his spine tingles and he feels the hairs raise on the back of his neck. Someone lurks in the shadows in front of him.

Robin gets into an offensive position and the figure steps forward, revealing himself to be Batman. The apprentice's eyes widen and he loses some of his conviction just by looking at his old mentor. Batman speaks curtly in a low voice, as he always does, but reveals a slight tenderness that very few people get to hear.

"Robin... You're back."

Robin hesitates long enough to hear Slade repeat the familiar line in his ear. "Not a word, Robin. You know what to do."

Robin, however, doesn't move. He lets this play out. Batman continues, his every question sounding more like a demand due to his monotonous voice. "The Teen Titans said you went missing. Why are you here, what—" he suddenly notices Robin's uniform. "What are you wearing."

"Now, Robin." Slade hisses sharply, and Robin throws an S-shaped knife towards Batman. The bat catches it between his fingers and observes it briefly, giving Robin just enough time to run up and attempt a kick. Batman blocks it, but his surprise makes him sloppy and he gets pushed back a few feet.

"RAAA!" Robin bellows, striking multiple blows with speed and skill. Batman frowns and throws a few small metal beads by Robin's feet. Green smoke releases with great pressure around him. Robin gasps and pulls back, recognizing instantly what it is. Quickly, he throws another knife that misses Batman, and it plummets below the platform they're standing on. It embeds itself into the rough stone wall by the lake. Little does Batman know, the USB drive is stuck to its side, hiding the evidence of his motive. Robin lands on his feet but sways slightly, and the world starts to blur and double around him.

He tries to form a thought, to move, but it gets increasingly difficult to even breathe. Before he knows it, Batman is by his side, staring down at him. "You're done, Robin."

He hits the ground.