The Mission Begins

He wakes up again around 5 pm. Unlike the Teen Titans, Slade has him sleep during the day and work at night. The only other person he knows who does that is Batman, so aside from him, whenever he runs into trouble he has the advantage of being fully awake while the heroes are begging for sleep.

The minute he puts his coms on, Slade's voice fills his ears. "Robin, come to the main center in five minutes." Robin puts on a scowl, wolfing down a quick breakfast on his way. Slade stands as he always does, with his hands behind his back, and Robin spots a map on the main monitor.

"...What now?" Robin asks none too politely. Slade's eye narrows and he approaches him.

"The Natural History Museum closes at 7 pm. Wait until 8 and steal for me the following objects."

He hands Robin four photos, all containing green gems. Slade then gives him a can of high-density hardening foam.

"...Ha. Short on money, Slade? Should I rob a bank on my way home?"

Slade chuckles. "As a matter of fact, you should. First Jump city's biggest private bank, then Metropolis Central Bank."

All the color leaves Robin's face. "I was just--"

"Kidding? Obviously, Robin. However, I am not. You have until 6 am to strike all three of those locations."

Robin tenses. Slade leans in close. "What's wrong, Robin? Too much of a challenge?"

Robin is trembling with rage. He throws a quick punch without warning, which Slade blocks without even breaking eye contact. Robin feels so ready to take him on again. A battle strategy already forms in his mind, but to his surprise, Slade backs off.

"I would suggest using the new mask. It could come in handy."

Robin bites his lip and calms down. "I can't."

Slade hesitates for once. "And why is that."

"My current mask can only be taken off with a spray in the Bat Cave. It's a contingency to protect my identity."

Slade didn't expect that, though he should have. Robin's been working for Slade for almost a week and hasn't removed his mask that entire time, even to sleep.

Slade shrugs and walks off, not taking the time to discuss the matter further. Robin thinks hard. The Natural History Museum, the Bank, and then Metropolis. All before 6 am. That leaves him 13 hours, which should be plenty.

All he has to do is continue to work for Slade, and hope Batman can find him. He just has to see him face to face with no cameras to mouth his message: "Titans in danger. Nano-bugs."

...He just has to wait.

The Natural History Museum was an easy grab. No interruptions, just a routine break-in. He's done it dozens of times whenever a villain was up to no good. Who knew he'd be the villain this time? It takes him little under an hour to get there and get what he needs. As instructed, he waited until it was 8 pm before breaking in. Now, at 9 pm, he counts his remaining time. 9 hours. To rob two banks.

Slade is forcing his hand, giving him nothing and expecting Robin to get it himself. He sets out right away on his motorbike... the one he'd stolen from the couple. The previous one he'd promised to return was crushed under the weight of a whale. Hope you had insurance for that...

The first bank is on the other side of town. 45 minute's drive if all goes well. Slade is purposefully giving him distant locations to waste his time, he can tell. Slade hadn't even specified how much money Robin had to steal... that's a bad sign. Robin's smart enough to know that it means Slade doesn't care. Robin is doing this for another reason entirely, and the money's just a bonus. Is this another test?

Aren't they always?