Bonds Tied Tight

"Just take it!"

Robin steps back and Slade looks down at his closed fist, then chuckles. "Well now, this is certainly unexpected."

"...What?"

Slade shrugs and slides into a stride, circling Robin slowly and looking down at the USB drive. "You did not hesitate one moment before giving me this... Before giving me all of the Batman's personal information."

A shiver runs up Robin's spine, and he watches Slade continue tensely.

"Not only that, but you removed his tracker and attacked your friends the Teen Titans without me having to prompt you. Never have your endorphins and adrenalin been so high. Don't even try to deny that you somehow enjoy this challenge."

Robin wants to fight back... but everything Slade said was true. All he can do is stand there, clench his fists and look down at the cold concrete. Suddenly, Robin feels a hand on his shoulder. He looks up and Slade is by his side. "I'm proud, Robin. Your progress is far faster than I had anticipated. I couldn't ask for a better apprentice."

Robin shrugs him off and stares up in anger, but this anger feels different. It's not exactly hatred for Slade, but for himself. Slade turns halfway towards an elevator behind him, adding "Take a break, Robin. Explore the facilities."

Robin hesitates, staring at the elevator and the hole he'd come out of to reach this place. Why should he go down? Why not try fighting him again, and get the remote out of his hand?

He sighs and walks towards the elevator. That wouldn't fix anything. Slade definitely already has a contingency for that. Robin has to free his friends of the nano-bugs before he can take any obvious action against him. As the elevator doors close and separate him from Slade, Slade stares Robin down and says "I'll see you in the training room in one hour."

The doors seal closed and Robin takes a deep breath, slumping against the wall.

"What's happening to me?" he whispers to himself, and doesn't move until the doors open again.

The hallway is pristine, the ceiling littered with cameras. He reaches a door with the word "Robin" etched carefully into the metal. The door opens automatically upon recognizing the new chip in his suit.

The room is large, and although it only has basic necessities (bed, walk-in closet, desk, and punching bag), its design and use of the space make it beautiful... far more beautiful than his room in Titan's tower. Behind an entire wall of lit-up glass runs a waterfall, and Robin begins to wonder just how long this base has actually existed, and if the other base was set up just to throw Robin and the others off this one's trail.

Robin looks around him as he walks, and finds a tasteful grey box sitting on his desk. His eyes narrow and he lifts off the cover. On a bed of grey silk sits a new mask, with dark grey eye covers instead of his usual white. There are words on the inside of the box's lid:

Heat vision

Night vision

Motion sensor

Flare-proof

Steel mesh

It's all the characteristics of the new mask, all of which could have been very helpful on his last mission.

Robin's eyes widen and all he can do for a minute is stare at it. His mind becomes clouded, and confused, and conflicted...

Slade has gone so far as to give him a new mask.

The Apprenticeजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें