3.1K 91 51

"you know, i remember in germany, when you stopped talking to me, i walked outside and just sat there thinking. you made me feel so useless, so unwanted, almost helpless. now i sound like a total dick because i couldn't even help you." zach said, his voice faltering in the middle of his statement.

"it's not your fault."

the pair stood in silence. not sure what to say. until he decided to break the ice.

"what's your name?"

"ami."

"well, ami, what happened between us?"

"nothing. i just didn't want to drag you down. into the deep hole that is my life."

"well, i'm here now, you can't avoid it or me forever." zach said, stepping closer to the girl.

"why are you being so nice to me?" ami asked, stepping back before he got too close. his kindness making her uncomfortable. almost as if she thought there was a catch. there had to be a catch.

"what do you mean?"

"i lied to you. my name, my appearance, almost everything important."

"well, honestly, i don't know."

"well, then i should be g-"

"stay, really."

"i fucking lied to you. i basically catfished you and your acting all calm. giving me advice and shit. my life's a mess you to don't want to clean up. i'm the only reason this is happening to me. therefore, i have to do this on my own. i sound like a fucking super hero but it's true. i don't deserve you. i already said i didn't want your help, okay?!"

she had snapped.

"i'm not giving you an option. i'm going to help you."

"i said no." she says, attempting to run away but failing miserable when zach grabs her arm.

"i'm going to help you get your shit together because i care about you. you are going to tell me everything and let me help you."

"no."

"well, we can argue here or go to your cousin's house and talk it out there."

"cousin?"

"mia?"

"oh. that was a lie too. she isn't my cousin. i don't even know her actually."

"wha- sa- then where do you live?"

"i have an apartment downtown."

"then let's talk there."

"that sounds so creepy, so no, i'm not bringing you to my home."

"oh, really? c'mon let's go."

"ugh, fine."

-

written june 10, 2018
edited october 29, 2018