2.8K 77 34

"holy shit. did she murder someone?!"

"god, zach keep your voice down. no." ami answered, "well, she almost did. kind of, well..."

"she almost murdered someone?!"

"jesus christ zach, keep your loud ass voice down, the walls are paper thin and i have neighbours."

"okay, okay, chill. go on. she stayed at your house?" he stated, putting his hands up in the air in surrender.

"right, so she eventually moved in with us. which is super weird by the way, like, why the fuck would she move in?" she said.

"well, yeah, why did she move in?"

"because she had shit on my father that i have yet to find out about."

"so she blackmailed you?"

"my dad."

"oh. at nineteen?"

"you can't say shit, you're seventeen, that isn't a big age gap."

"yeah, yeah. what happened next?"

"she moved in. i even helped her move in. and eventually whenever something didn't go her way, she'd get pissed."

"what do you mean 'when things didn't go her way'?" zach asks.

"when i wouldn't take off my shoes before going in. when i didn't finish a book i was reading. if i spent too much time watching tv. if i didn't finish all the water in the little water bottle i used to bring to school. when i wouldn't eat the soggy ass sandwiches she gave me for lunch. when i didn't eat an apple everyday. when i ate too much. when i went inside the master bedroom. when i-"

"okay, so she didn't get her way very often now did she?"

"nope. but god, i'm making her sound like a toddler."

"i guess. so what'd she do?"

"different things. she'd yell sometimes. other times she'd hit me with a belt. ooh, or with a hanger."

"hold up, she'd hit you? like physically hurt you?"

ami thought for a second, "yeah, pretty much."

"do you not realise how fucked up that is?"

"yeah, i guess it's pretty fucked up."

"why does this not faze you at all?"

"because it's all i've ever known."

"you didn't deserve that."

"maybe i did."

"no you didn't."

"you wanna hear the rest?"

"sure." he answers.

"so hanger, she'd hit me with a hanger, or a flip flop. she'd hit me with a lot of things. she hit me with a lot of things, wow." ami explains, "when what i did wasn't that bad, she'd just make me stay in the garage for 10 ish minutes."

"was the garage dark?"

"oh, yeah. pitch black. i'm still scared of the dark, to be honest."

"oh. go on?"

"right, so uh- i- uhm this one time, and i remember this so vividly too, i got home from school. mind you i was about six years old. and i didn't finish my lunch. which was this sandwhich that was all gross and she started yelling at me like crazy." she says, fear flickering in her eyes as she recalls the memory, "then she hit me with a belt and started screaming, 'next time you decide not to waste your fucking lunch, think about the blood dripping from of your hip as motivation, maybe you'll learn to be grateful' it was... terrifying."

"i- i honestly don't know what to say anymore."

"i wouldn't know either."

"so what else did she do?"

-

written june 14, 2018
edited october 29, 2018