1.8K 45 28

they just couldn't move. frozen in place. no words to say. nothing, at all.

"i- uh-"

"yeah- so can you um-"

"i'll- i'll bring you home."

"uh- yeah sure, thank you."

and so they went home. ami's mind was full of questions. none in particular that she wanted to ask him.

as the pair walked toward the exit of the happiest place on earth, zach felt the impulse to grab her hand. why? no clue. but he felt like he had to do it. so he did. he grabbed her hand.

ami was taken by surprise. it was something she had been hoping he would do, it was taking a while so she kind of gave up. but he did it. he grabbed her hand.

he slowly intertwined their fingers together and looked at her, smiling. the glimmer in his eyes, ami could see in the dark. it was so... beautiful.

the rest of the walk was spent in silence. they 2 were both in fear of ruining the almost perfect moment. both overthinking the every second. 

but ami was terrified of messing up and losing him. zach herron, the one person that ever understood her, the one person that gave her a chance. the chance she almost blew, the chance she was going to blow.

"hey uhm are you sure you wanna be friends with me?" she asked, her anxiety getting the best of her.

"of course, why wouldn't i?"

"because i catfished you. i'm basically sierra burgess."

"who's sierra burgess?"

"she's a girl in a movie who's a bitch and catfishes this dude and messes everyone's lives up." she said, letting go of his hand.

"oh my god, ami, you aren't like that." he exclaimed, getting slightly frustrated with ami's doubts.

"well maybe i am! how do you know that for sure? how do i know you won't use this against me to win an argument?"

"because i know you. and no i won't use anything against you! what decent human being would use someone's mistake against them? i would never do that, especially because i care about you!"

"why would anyone care about me? it would be a waste of time and effort." she said as a tear fell down he cheek, she quickly wiped it away and muttered, "fuck, i'm just going to go home alone."

"no. i'm coming with you, whether you like it or not."

"zach, please, just let me be."

"no, i need to make sure you're safe and you get home safe and everything's going to be alright."

so the two shared an uber back to her home, silence was the only thing present in the stranger's car. both lost in thought, they hadn't realised they had arrived until their uber driver told them so. they both walked out, ami going first and zach close behind her.

once she heard zach close the door, ami cracked.

"i'm so sorry." she said, falling to the ground.

"ami, hey, hey," zach said as he dropped everything and ran to her, engulfing her small frame in a hug, "it's okay, i'm not going to hurt you."

"but what if i hurt you? i couldn't live with myself if i did that to you, not again."

"you won't hurt me. you're not going to hurt anybody, everything's going to work out in the end. things happen for a reason, all that's happened to you, everything you've been through has shaped you into the wonderful person you are today. plus, it shouldn't make you live in fear, it should make you stronger."

"who knew you were smart?" she asked, a small chuckle escaping her tear stained face.

"oh my god." he said whilst rolling his eyes and tilting his head slightly back, "you, are something else."

she just laughed at his statement. she stood up, walked to the kitchen and prepared a simple meal for the two to enjoy.

"so what's it like, living alone?" he asked.

"it's okay, it does get a little lonely sometimes, though."

"well maybe i can help with that. i'll come over more often."

"yeah, sure."

-

written october 6, 2018
edited november 1, 2018