28. Hunt

Hunt woke in a straw mattress. It wasn't his mattress, not the one at the cave where Song hand sewed it the way he liked.

The Milborn Inn was dirty, as everything was. He paced out among the dormension residents feeling strangely as if he were the outsider when he looked dormension enough.

He talked to one of his contacts at the gate. If he stayed too long in the city, it would look suspicious. He constantly had to remind himself to act like a dormension. Dormensions never stayed in one place for too long. He had gotten used to being a nomad. To seeking a home instead of his next meal.

His contact was going out for a hunt as well. "Been strange workings outside the neon bridge lately," Scowl said. Hunt grunted and Scowl looked at his forearm. "I'm surprised you joined the Dore, too; I always thought you too softhearted."

Hunt shrugged the comment off. His tattoo had not disappeared like he was promised. It still adorned his veiny covering, an inky black serpent. Still, it was a good cover. "What kind of workings?" he asked.

"Demons. They don't come past the bridge, as they would get eaten by us. But they wander close to the bridge sometimes, on the nomad side of it. I'm surprised, the way the nomads guard their borders, wouldn't think they'd let those sneaky creatures anywhere near their young ones. At least, they used to care about those kinds of things: I heard something bad happened to their cave leader—what's his name?"

"Robbin," Hunt answered.

a/n: I actually didn't add this chapter till the book was finished, but I love this short little chapter because it lets you know what's going on in the rest of Carynthia.

As always thank you for reading! Let me know what you think by voting, commenting and sharing:)