39. Night Twelve

Her dream was like the embers of the small cave fire.

Antoinette stared down at it. The red was luminescent, like fire. She felt powerful in it.

She ran through the alleyways, feeling as if she might suffocate. She remembered as she stared up at the fire of her cell.

Terra wondered what the dream meant. She stared up at Winston a few hours later. At the precipice of the dark jagged peak, just before the smooth stone landing upon which Terra stood, was what appeared to be the giant mouth of an enormous beast. It was unencumbered by moss but the landing looked as calm as water, as if the cave were dipping its jaws into a pool to cool off before remaining frozen in place. No tree dared stand before the entrance nor inside the cave, only above it, wrapping the wide circle in a halo of light, as if entreating innocent snacks to wander inside.

***

"All we're doing is listening. That's it, no confrontations, in and out no problem. At least, you two are." Jake seemed to eye Robbin a little harder than he did Terra once they had woken.

"What are you looking at me for? I'm not going to intervene."

Jake raised his eyebrows. "Mr. 'I'm protector of the nomads and I'll do anything to make sure they stay safe?' Yeah, sure, you won't be a problem at all."

Robbin folded his arms. "I trust you to lead this operation. I'll cooperate in any way I can."

Even Terra raised her eyebrows. He was with them to get as much information as he could, and if that meant interacting with the wolves, he would do it, and she and Jake both knew that.

The climb had been harder than Terra thought it would be and had lasted two hours. Robbin had been there to catch her if she fell.

"Rowan really did get us pretty close to Winston. We're only about thirty minutes away now," Jake had informed them halfway up.

"Only?" Terra had huffed. Why did these rocks have to be so monstrous?

Jake laughed, undaunted by the jealousy he had bottled in the night before. "Don't worry. If you fall, Robbin will catch you."

She looked back at him. It was true, whether she was an asset or not.

Jake was remarkably accurate on time, though it was the longest thirty minutes of her life. She scrambled, heaved and stumbled over every moonlit obstacle in her path determined not to need Robbin's guiding hand, as the last part was the hardest. By the time they came to a stop she felt resentful toward him for not being as winded as her, and for having to help her on more than one occasion.

"We're here," Jake had said. She didn't know what was so special about Winston except a pile of rocks until she stepped up onto the rock porch which jutted out above them. The mountain still towered high above, blocking the white speckled sky.

***

Now, having arrived, she stared up at the giant cave, much bigger than the one they had slept in.

"Terra, get down!" Jake hissed, pulling her back amongst the uninteresting pile of rocks below.

He began talking nonsense about entrance plans, using rocks for blueprints and advising Robbin not to have any opinions. Terra just peered over the landing at the gigantic opening wondering if a wolf might venture out of it and then get eaten by the cave she was sure must secretly be alive.

"Chances are the wolves are well into discussion by now, but it's mating season so the quicker we get in and out, the better. We don't want to run into any wolves coming in or out to check on their honey."