40. Trust

"You lied." Robbin set Terra down and wheeled on him as he came wheezing behind them. Terra peered curiously at Jake. She had never seen a healthy nomad out of breath, and wondered briefly how long he and Robbin had been running. Had it been a couple of hours? Three?

"Why did you lead us here? We're completely off track, we're supposed to be heading East not North! At this rate we'll run into—" Jake's counterargument broke off as he seemed to realize something.

"I still have some people I can count on. I'm going to discuss this situation with a friend. What are you, Jake? Because you don't seem to be my friend at all. Convince me I can still even trust you."

Jake stared up at him and feigned innocence. Maybe he hadn't heard. "Convince you to trust me?! I just risked my life to get you information! You didn't even think there was an attack coming at all! You should be grateful for the information I've given you!"

Robbin just studied him, seeming to see right through his act. "Who is Malicion?"

Jake swallowed. He had heard. What killed him was the knowledge that he couldn't tell him. "He's an old partner. Nobody, really."

Robbin threw his hands in the air in exasperation and Terra felt she should intervene. In all honesty, she was on Jake's side. It was none of Robbin's business what Jake had done before they had all met, because what mattered was what Jake was doing now, to help them.

"We don't have time for this. We need to get to Parantium to warn them!" she interrupted.

Robbin eyed her frustratedly. "We're passing through dormension territory to get there. It will be faster, and I'm not sure if I should bring you with me." He pointed a menacing finger at Jake.

Terra wondered if that meant they would visit Hunt, and suddenly felt her stomach go queasy.

"What do I need to do to convince you I'm on your side?" Jake let his hands down in defeat, peering up at both she and Robbin like a wounded puppy.

Surely Robbin wasn't serious—not after all Jake had done for them?

"You promise me," Robbin's finger still pointed at him. "Promise me when we get the nomad cave up and running again, that you'll stay. Promise me that I can trust you—that you won't go running back to whoever it is you receive gifts from, or information, or whatever else. Promise me you stand with me."

It was Jake's turn to huff exasperatedly. "I can't promise I'll stay at the nomad cave!"

"Then, I don't want you coming with us. Go back to wherever you belong." Robbin's voice did not joke.

Terra's eyes widened and Jake seemed to stand all alone now.

"I'm serious, Jake! Go!" Robbin yelled.

"Robbin, I think you might be—" Terra started, but then Jake's quiet reply came.

"I promise."

They both turned to him, his face lowered, shoulders hunched.

"I promise I'll stay."

Terra was amazed by it.

Robbin just seemed un-phased. "Okay. Then, you can come."

It must have said something about what Robbin's word meant to him that he let Jake off the hook with the simple promise. But Robbin chose to believe in Jake's word as much as his own.

They were off within an hour, resting and eating, and then sprinting through black sky once more. Terra was sad to leave the wolf territory once and for all. She glanced back at the ruffled sand and desert reeds as she clambered on Robbin's back. A few deer wandered into sight as they began to take off. The female and children nipped at the weeds and the male deer watched them. Its antlers had a faint glow, and they were gone.