44. Battle

Robbin didn't have to give much of a speech. In fact, he didn't have to give a speech at all. It wasn't like at the cave; this time his warriors were fighting to protect their own town, their own families. The lives at stake were enough motivation by themselves. All he really had to do was organize them.

As the wolves came ever closer, he circled the city to make sure there were no gaps in their defense. He exchanged a few words with Roland who sprinted off to organize his own group. When he felt satisfied, he stationed himself near the entrance to the city. There would be no words exchanged with the wolves before this battle, so it didn't really matter where he decided to settle down and fight, but this spot just felt right. It was where the majority of their defense was stationed, after all. He heard Hunt creep up behind him. "There they are," he said.

And there they were. They came from the NorthWest once again. There were more of them than anybody had expected in their worst nightmares. Who would have thought the wolves would have organized just for them? Their pelts shone white by the light of the moon and their jaws gaped, teeth sharp as razors.

They stopped where the trees stopped, before the city. There wasn't more than a few feet between them; the nomads could feel their breath on their faces. One of the wolves transformed into a human before Robbin.

"You are charged with entering the cave of Winston and committing witchcraft in our halls. The penalty is death."

Robbin scoffed. The wolves had been planning to attack Parantium long before he had entered their cave, and he hoped his companions knew that.

A nomad right next to him shook in his boots at the threat. "It's for the good of Parantium," Robbin whispered to him. The man gripped his hands into fists repeating the phrase. Those nearby passed it on until the entire circle of their defense was whispering it to themselves. It was for the good of Parantium. It took but a few words to strengthen their resolve.

Robbin whispered it to himself one more time. "It's for the good of Parantium." And then the line of wolves moved, clashing against them like a tidal wave, coalescing at the center and then seeping over around the edges. The human looking wolf before Robbin turned back into a massive wolf mid jump but Robbin quickly recovered from the attack, sliding like a baseball player and aiming at the stomach of the animal. Hunt tossed away wolf after wolf beside him with the brute force of his dormension strength and Robbin tried not to feel jealous. Just because he wasn't a dormension didn't mean he couldn't do just as much damage. And there was another wolf. He tried not to feel fear at his opposition but took it as a challenge, waging a secret competition with Hunt.

He yelped out in pain as massive claws scratched at his shoulder. Someone else in their defense helped him to shove it off, the image of the helper's wife doubling his strength in two, and Robbin jumped ten feet with his nomad strength, the force of the blow knocking the wolf out cold. He didn't know whether it would wake again. And there was another one.

a/n: Thanks so much for reading!