Open

-=[Mello's POV]=-

Mello slides silently out of bed, being careful of the creaky wooden floor- he didn't want to wake Near. Even though he had always wanted to break the runt's neck, he can't just ruin how peaceful the albino while sleeping. The corner of Mello's mouth twitches, begging to smile. He turns his head away from the boy, and begins quickly to dress into his casual attire- a black feathered hoodie, and dark skinny jeans. He continually looks up at the boy, checking if Near is awake. He'd hate to have Near wake up on him changing.

When he finishes, he pulls out the desk chair, and gets to work.

Near wakes up just minutes later, and groans cutely. Cutely? Mello sighs. The pills were supposed to wear off overnight. Okay, he admits he has had his eye on Near for the past week or so. But he never was this attracted to the boy.

"What time is it?" Near asks sleepily.

Mello scribbles down some notes onto one of the papers before answering. "It's just 4:30," he replies, purposefully sounding harsh. It has been difficult treating Near like this lately, but he didn't want to show any changes in behavior. "You can go back to sleep if you want."

Near shakes his head. "I'm also a part of solving this case, Mello." Near saying his name sends a brief wave of subtle redness across the blonde's cheeks. He quickly turns his head before Near can notice his fluster.

Mello's attention draws back to the case; he can't be distracted from the albino. As he finally begins to fully focus on the assignment, Near's monotone voice sounds at his side, causing his heart to stop.

"Where are you currently at in the assignment?"

Mello closes his eyes, forcing himself not to blush. He couldn't blush at a time like this. He steadies his breath, and alas answers the boy's question. "I'm reading over all of the interviews with the family," he replies tightly.

Near tilts his head to the side. "Were you just blushing?"

By now Mello can't breath- did he let his redness show through? Now he was screwed.

"Uh.... No. Why would I be blushing?" he asks, reluctantly angered.

"You're still blushing."

"No I'm not!"

"You're blushing even more."

Mello curls his hand into a fist. If that albino doesn't drop the subject, he'll end up punching something.

Near drops his attention to the pills at their side. "Or maybe it's just the pills that are making you all emotional," he suggests.

"That's probably it," Mello answers quickly.

Near then pauses, lost in his own musings. "Nah. I think you are secretly attracted to me," he concludes without emotion.

Mello has to change the subject somehow before it gets out of control, and some feeling are slipped. He grabs the albino by his hair and pins him to the wall, fist ready to slam into Near's face. His gaze gradually slips down to the boy's lips. Mello should be punching him by now, but his focus cannot leave the inviting lips of Near.

Near squirms to get away, obviously discomforted by Mello's sudden change of behavior. The blonde pushes Near's hands against the wall with an unexpected force.

Mello's lips crash into the boy's- this takes Near by surprise. He tenses, but doesn't pull away from Mello's kiss.

After the kiss deepens, Near finally pulls away with a face of shock and artificial irritation. He opens his mouth to speak, but is at loss of words.

"What was that?" Near finally manages. "You really do like me, don't you?"

Mello stares at the boy. He always expects Near to play along with everything; his blunt use of words surprises Mello.

Near loosens from his grasp, and slips away. "Don't ever touch me again."