Free

So you guys obviously love my book and want more. ^_^ XD

I'm sorry I haven't updated recently, I've been very busy with school and such. But.. Here you go! Enjoy.

Near leans back into his desk chair to open his mouth with a yawn. He has been up for several hours, (beginning at around 4:00) and has let Mello sleep in for a while. The boy didn't want to start another argument with him, being so short-tempered and all.

It's been weeks now since the two boys have begun to case, and they were getting not nearly as far into it as they should have been. Ever since Mello kissed Near, the blonde purposefully stayed as far away from the boy as possible to avoid any fights.

Near has begun to notice that Mello isn't taking his medications.. Their days were typically the "get up, eat, work" routine. Near sighs when he finds that he cannot even concentrate on work assigned to him. How long was the case going to last? Cases like these usually were solved quicker by Near. The albino decides is safe to assume that Mello is a huge distraction. Which he is.

Near hears a soft groan from Mello when he's awoken to bright rays of sunlight through the curtain at the side of his bed. "I thought I told you to close the damn curtains," Mello impertinently growls.

Near clicks the bottom of his pen with his left hand against the desk. "I forgot." The boy says this a little too simply, irritating Mello in a way.

"I'm assuming you didn't sleep very well?"

Mello shoots the boy a death stare, and rolls his eyes. "I'm allowed to sleep well and still treat you like garbage, aren't I?"

Near offers a small, "heh" of amusement at the blonde's comment, and continues to gather more information about the case. Before Mello can join him, both of the roommates hear a knock on the door. Most likely Rodger.

Near pulls himself from the chair he was sitting in and answers the door the manager of the Wammy's House. "Yes?"

Rodger's gaze drifts from Near to Mello, and his eyes then close with contentment. "I can see you two aren't bickering. That's a relief."

"Erm... yeah."

"In fact," Rodger says as he thoughtfully presses the tip of his finger to his chin, "I don't recall hearing you two fight as often." Mello rolls his eyes at this comment. "In that case, you two can be separated. You're assignment has come to a close."

Near's monotoned gaze widens. "Excuse me?" Mello, now at the boy's side, furrows his eyebrows with confusion.

Rodger laughs aloud at the reaction of the two boys. "I'm assuming you two didn't finish the case yet?" Near hesitantly shakes his head. "Well it'd be a miracle if you did," he told them with a hint of amusement. "The case couldn't be solved in the first place."

Near closes his eyes with shame, and mentally slaps himself on the forehead. He felt completely idiotic for not realizing that fact a long time ago.. He spent two weeks (two weeks!) with that chocolate-loving-bull.. for what?

He sees that to the side of him, Mello has his hand clenched when Rodger says that. "Are you seriously... Seriously telling me that I've spent that whole time with that albino sheep thing, for nothing?" For some odd reason, Mello hesitates before saying the lasts word. Nothing. Was any of this really for nothing?

Rodger shakes his head. "No. The main point of this assignment was to stop the bickering between you two." The man sighs, "I really can't stand hearing that all day long.. But hey, it worked for the most part."

Near shrugs, and steps into their room to grab all of his belongings. Rodger was more clever than he thought. "So that means I can go back to my former room?" He asks as he stuffs a pair of snow white pajamas into a bag.

"Yes, it does."

Near walks past both Mello and Rodger, hurrying towards his old bedroom. He couldn't stand moving from place to place so often.

Mello gazes at Near walking by, still unable to contain his anger towards Rodger for tricking him. Mello was angry.. but thankful. The blonde couldn't help but feel attached to Near after what they've been through together over the past couple weeks. It felt... wrong seeing the boy's back turned to him. "Near!" Mello couldn't control the raging emotions inside him. He needed to let him know that none of the assignment was in vain, at least not to him.

Near turns his head ever the slightest, only to acknowledge his name being called out.

Mello didn't know what to say. "I.."

The boy cuts his words short with a sarcastic wave of his hand. "I know. You wanted to tell me how annoying I am."

Mello stares at him, slightly hurt. "No.."

Near glances at the blonde, surprised. "That's new, then." The albino continues to make his way down the hall and back to his room. Away from Mello.

Mello just simply watches the boy walk away.. But he knows it won't be the last time they'll speak to each other. He'll make sure of that.

This is not the end by the way. :)