Try

Near stumbles away from the boy, grimacing. The albino had always thought that Mello has hated him, why would he make a move like that? Near rubs his tingling lips- he didn't want his first kiss to be with Mello. The act of affection had taken Near by surprise; he was too shocked to pull away.

Mello's cheeks flush when Near tells him those painful words. "I....But..." Mello struggles to find his voice, or at least some form of an excuse. "I just... fell into you. Sorry."

"You know that's not true," Near's monotonic voice disputes.

Mello once again opens his mouth to give another weak cover-up, but this time cannot find anything. "Well..." He at last lets out at least something to say to break up the awkward situation. "You didn't pull away! That means you liked it! Admit it, Near, you secretly are in love with me," he retorts.

"Why on Earth would I ever fall for you?"

Redness flows to Mello's cheeks. Although Near probably won't realize it, those words hurt him like daggers thrown into his heart.

"After all, it's rather taboo for a man to be crushing on another male," he says, stating the obvious.

"...It's just those damn pills that Rodger gave me," Mello tells the boy.

"Those were supposed to wear off yesterday, yes?"

"I took more this morning," the blonde excuses a little too quickly.

Near sighs, then seats himself on the edge of his bed. He picks up the papers scattered across the floor from the night before, and briefly organizes them on his lap. "Right," he says partly laughing.

He hears Mello take a subtle breath of relief, coming over to join Near with the assigned case.