Chapter 3 - Part 2 - More than this

I stop at the door, and look back, to see the Traveller walk away, unaware of my glance. With one long heavy breath, I promise myself never to think of him again.

Quickly, sneaking in, I close the door gently, to not bring attention to myself. On the table are several vegetables for tonight, I begin to prepare them. Walking by the mantel, I sigh, there skinned, and cooking is a rabbit. Chadwick is already awake. Quickly, I bounce into action, grabbing a cloth from the bucket. Ringing out the access water, I wash the table down from the remaining blood of the rabbit.

Grabbing some vegetables and a knife, I chop them into chunks. I glance towards the door, hoping by some miracle, the Traveller will come through it and rescue me from my life.

I had been gone for far too long, and many people had witnessed me with a stranger. I have no other choice than to lie but lie as close to the truth as possible. If word got out that I was with a man, and I wasn't honest with Chadwick about it, then I would undoubtedly receive a painful punishment. Without detail, maybe I could manipulate Chadwick, and he could believe my deceit.

Chadwick enters the room, and grunts when he sees me. He walks to the other side of the table and sits down. His glaring eyes, watch me rush about preparing supper. I grab my choppings and head towards the boiling pot by the fire.

"Where were you? Your father said you were gone when he awoke," he snaps.

I stop moving while standing in the middle of the room. This is the moment I have been dreading.

"I'm sorry, I was meeting with a newcomer," I confess, gaining the confidence to continue towards the pot.

With a splash, I drop ingredients into the water, and bubbles float to the surface. My whole body feels like this water, slowly bubbling into a frenzy.

"Why?" he grumbles, with distaste.

"I bumped into him rudely, and caused damage to his property." Glancing up, from behind my eyes, I assess his mood. He seemed unfazed, so I continue, "I didn't want to give a bad impression, of you."

It was half right, I did bump into him though, but the rest of the explanation left a foul taste in my mouth. I wasn't comfortable, saying such lies. In my mind I beg him, please just believe it, and think nothing more. Who knows when I will sleep again if we start another fight. I bite my lip and wait anxiously for his reply. Had I just told a lie, that he would believe?

"Good," he grunts.

I nearly sigh, in relief. My betrothed is a man of few words. It is finally clear to me, how barbaric he can be compared to the Traveller. The silence became thick and uncomfortable. Maybe this is my chance, to prove to him I can step up into our roles.

"He received services at Harold's, I wanted to make sure things were to his liking before he departed," I smile widely, at my accomplishments.

"I would be proud," he spreads his arms out looking around, "but here I am, having a meal cooked for forgiveness from your earlier behaviour."

How dare he! He would lose his mind if I didn't provide this man of nobility a proper welcome. His pride would have deemed it my obligation to do so. If only, he knew that man was of a noble title. A snagging in my heart reminds me that word will spread soon. I can feel my blood beginning to bubble like the pot. I have done everything for him! I take time away from home just to cook this meal! A surge of energy fills my veins, and my pulse beat rapidly. Instantly, heat surfaces from my chest and motivates my next words.

"We aren't in a good place, Chadwick! Don't think I haven't forgotten about that boy!" I spit.

Stunned by my outburst, Chadwick stomps into the other room. Relief leaves my lungs in a heavy breath. Silently I finish the meal and toss food onto the plates. I rush carrying them into the other room. This room is small, but nonetheless, he redecorated this room after his parents passed away. Antlers from many of his hunts were plastered across the wall in decoration. They gave me the shivers. Quietly, taking my seat, we ate in silence.