Chapter 6 - Part 2 -Strangers

I release a breath as the tension in the air dissipates with the King's absence. Walking over to the table I take the letter and read it over again.

King Thaddeus Holbrook,

I have been assaulted by several of your soldiers during their raid on my land, and I demand justice. Drawing swords and threatening the lives of my subjects is disgusting behaviour for anyone doing business on behalf of royalty and I advise you to have better reins over your men.

My betrothed was dragged from the town like a common criminal. If she has displeased you, I suggest you return her immediately, and I will lash her for her crimes as a man should adequately punish his property. I demand you release her back into my custody. I will send someone for her retrieval as soon as I receive your reply.

Lord Chadwick Stewart, Vassal of Hull.

Rage fills me, and I quickly crumple the paper and toss it into the fire. Watching as it burns I smile coldly, my hatred for this man leaking into my expression freely. Chadwick was going to punish me? Lash me? Is he insane? I am to be his wife, and he is claiming I'm merely his property stolen from him. He is incredibly disrespectful towards the King. He is absurd, no one of title would allow anyone to speak to them like that. He may be a low ranking lord, but he is has a noble title and should know better. Chadwick needs to get his temper under control before he gets himself killed or worse.

Walking over towards the bed I think back to what I had done. I had chosen the King's side agreeing to his instructions to write to Chadwick. When I return home, I'm going to be punished 'lashed' for this scandal. Our arguments have now become public, and I could not protect myself from becoming an example to the village.

What have I done? Why did I listen to Thaddeus? At first, it seemed like a good idea, but now. Now, this horrible knot in my stomach twists in regret. I can't anger Chadwick while I'm here, my family could be banished. My whole family is rooted in that village, everyone lives off the land. Where would they go?

Where would I go after this week? If I have nowhere else to go, the King could easily persuade me to stay. That would only make matters worse with my family back in Hull. The haunting thought sends a shiver down my spine, and I wiggle on the blanket, and an idea pops into my head. 'He will always get what he wants.' But who is he? The King or Chadwick? I need to be careful, not carefree while I'm here. I groan loudly in frustration and plop down onto the bed.

Tears run down my face as I sob loudly, my cheek feels the damp sheets where my tears have been absorbed on the bed. Looking up at the ceiling I fall limp as exhaustion consumes my body.

I need to pray, I need to be heard before things are set in stone. I have never done this before, how do I even start? I climb down kneeling before the bed, and place my hands together, closing my eyes.

'Please God, please forgive me for my sins. Please protect me from the mistakes that I have made. Protect me from the two men in my life that could destroy me. I need your strength to save me from all the darkness that has surrounded my life. Allow me to not bless the King with a child, allow me to be forgiven when I return home. I'll be true to my fiance, I'll be a proper wife, just please don't abandon me.'

Leaning my back against the edge of the bed defeated as I allow the exhaustion from today's experience to overcome me.

~

Slowly, I feel my body being moved, I blink a few times as my eyes adjust to the darkness of the room. The air has chilled, no fire crackling as I had allowed the embers to cease in my sleep. Warmth spreads through my body as I feel hands moving my limp form around. I look up gasping as some servant has my legs in his arms.