Chapter 17 - Part 1 - Her

Since our wedding, Thaddeus began to spend many nights in my chambers. In comfort, he rubbed my belly and back, soothing me to sleep each night. There were times that I would wake and he would be gone. These nights I lay restlessly, wondering what keeps him up. Tonight is just another one of those many nights. Sliding out of my bed, I reach out for my robe hanging on a rack nearby. The smooth material running against my hot skin, making me moan from relief. In such a short time my body grew hot and uncomfortable. Such simple things as a cold bed, frozen stone floors, and a breeze brought joy to me.

My feet sticking from sweat make light pattering noises along the floor. Typically, these small noises woke Helena, she is such a light sleeper. Finding peace in the absence of others, I take a moment to walk over to the bassinet that was brought to my room not long ago. It's beautiful woodwork shaped in arches at the bottom creating a soft rock to soothe my boy to sleep. The blankets and fur inside adding comfort and warmth to the susceptible child. I can hardly wait for nights such as these with my child. Our child. Thaddeus, where is he?

Exiting into the chilly hall, dark and quiet from the night, I drift over towards the King's office. A soft smile warming my already sweaty cheeks as I think of the many days I sat knitting the blanket that now lay in the bassinet. Warm light shines through the crack in the door, it's ajar as usual. Thaddeus never closes it, keeping the hallway visible to him tactfully, or maybe it is his constant invitation for me to join him when I pass by.

His voice echoes lightly into the hall, and I freeze. "Helena." Why is she in there? He must be talking to her. Why else would he say her name? I creep as best as my waddle will allow me, pressing myself against the wall just before the beam of light leading into the room.

"It's beautiful, your Majesty. How did you come across these at such a time? It's only spring?" Helena's awed voice burns my ears.

"I am King, but this is our secret. This shall never reach the Queen's ears." My heart pulses in my chest painfully.

How could I have been so blind? The burning desires in his eyes during our wedding. I should have known, they held the same intensity as the night of our affair. Katherine's words burn into my mind, "If only you would disappear like the rest of his whores." I was not the first woman that the King had taken to. I am but many, many who all tried to bare a son for the King and failed.

Helena quiet voice drifts into my ears, "Of course your Majesty, my lips are sealed."

He has an heir to be, and now he just seeks pleasure from a woman who is able to provide it. Tears pour down my cheek, and I lift my skirt scurrying towards my chambers. Slamming the door without a care for who it wakens. With searing anger, I stomp towards Margaret's door. Once, I began to show she moved into the attached room for my lady's maid. It was for her to keep a close eye on me. A small single bed with a simple desk and stool inside, decorated with all that Helena had brought with her to the castle. Her dresses draped over the racks in the corner and makeup littered across the desk. His mistress' room.

Tears fall from my face and land on the floor like a trail. I grab her drawer and tug it with force, rooting through the contents. Brooches and paper, ink and quill, ribbons and necklaces. What am I even looking for: proof? What more proof do I need? I caught them in the act, I heard more than enough! A gift. What more of these items are gifts from him? Grabbing one of the golden brooches I hurl it across the room, it crashes loudly against the wood flooring and shoots under the bed. I reach for another trinket, and that's when I see it. His writing. Such familiar lettering, I can hardly believe I see it once more. With a shaky hand, I pull the letter from the drawer and close it. Absentmindedly, I wander into my room. Light as a feather, I feel disconnected from my body. My mind entirely in shock from this simple name scrolled across a folded paper.