Chapter 18 - Part 2 - My Child

I blink a few times as the pain dissipates, Helena leans me back into the many pillows. Looking around feeling extremely disoriented, I continue to blink and regain stability. Before my eyes is a small bloodied baby, cradled in the arms of the midwife. I lean forward as best as I can and watch the midwife passing her off to Helena, who takes her away from me. I gasp, trying to scramble to get up, but my body not responding.

Helena takes my small Prince, all bloodied, over to a table full of clothes, and a bowl of water. She is going to drown him!

I start to scramble, and the midwife, grabs me by the shoulders, "Oh no, your Majesty. You still have work to do."

I glance over at the baby, and back to the midwife as she slides into view blocking my sight, refocusing me back to herself.

"What?" I mumble out breathlessly.

"Keep pushing," she orders.

"My baby," I whimper.

"Is being cleaned, trust me, your Highness."

I nod disoriented and push with all the little strength I have. Blinking over and over again, as I try to process how I still have the energy to keep pushing.

"Ahhh!" I scream, and the world blackens again.

Blinking I feel completely removed from my body. Slowly, lifting my head, watching as the midwife now is between my legs dragging something from me. Her arms bloodied, and I scoot away from her in fright. Between my legs is a globed mess covered in blood. Tears run down my face, and confusion overwhelms me. With a mighty tug, the midwife removes the bloodied sheets and the foreign substance out of sight.

Helena steps towards me, cradling my child. Her voice chiming cheerfully into my ears, "It's a girl, oh your Majesty, you have a healthy baby girl."

A girl. I have given birth to a princess. I shiver, all this battling for a small girl? Would the King love her? Blinking a few times, I look up through watery eyes as I see Helena staring at me in worry.

Reaching my arms out desperately I whine, "Let me hold her, please."

"Here, she is beautiful," Helena coos in delight.

Placing my small princess into my arms, and resting her head gently against my chest. Tears fall, landing softly on the baby's cheek.

"My baby, my sweet baby."

I lift my finger and trace her little features in awe. Her eyes as defined as mine, bright green already. Small tufts of hair scattered her mostly bald skin, dark and rich, as luxurious as Thaddeus's hair. He will be pleased to find the resemblance.

"Send for the King," I boom in an attempt of power.

Helena rushes from my chambers upon my request. A tender smile lifts at the corner of my lips as this small child latches onto my finger, and suckles. Everything about this child dragged me into her, ripping me away from the world. She is my world, and for now, we are safe together.

The midwife lifts a quilt over the bed covering the bloody mess from sight. My back rests comfortably into the mountain of pillows, and the midwife rushes around placing more behind me.

The door opens, and Thaddeus saunters in with powerful strides. My eyes light up with excitement as I take in the sight of the King, my husband.

"Your Majesty, I present you with your daughter," I announce brightly looking as his eyes move immediately towards the small infant in my arms.

He freezes. "A daughter?" My breath leaves me as I watch his response. I had been hopeful and promised him a son.

"A daughter! Oh, Claire," he coos, walking over to my bedside with determination.

I look up into his eyes nervously, tears blurring his perfect face from me. Perfect because his long hair frames his face, I know our daughters will too.

"We can have more," I plead with him.

He sits down beside me, facing me, and caresses our child's cheek. "She's perfect Claire. A blessing," he breathes.

We sat silently for a long time, both taking in our newborn child. Much has occurred just for this moment, for her birth, and now, she is in my arms.

"Your Majesty," the midwife interrupts us, "the Queen needs rest."

"Of course," he nods. Looking towards me he takes my cheek in his hand tipping my gaze up to his, "Rest now, the hard work is done."

He leans in, and I feel as the midwife takes my child. His lips gently peck mine, and still I'm left in an odd breathless daze.

Looking down I have a panicked feeling as I suddenly register that my daughter is out of my arms. I glance over, and the midwife is gone, "Where is she?"

He smiles, "Right there, resting. Close your eyes, I'll be back shortly." His lips press into my forehead softly, a tingle lingers.

My eyes follow his gesture, and I see him pointing towards the bassinet.

He steps away, and my alertness returns, "Where are you going?"

He glances back with a broad smile, "To notify the kingdom, I need to prepare the paperwork for the announcement."

I lean back allowing the pillows to surround my weak body. My eyes scan the room, watching nervously while everyone exits behind the King. My nerves relax as I hear my child making silly noises in her crib. Such soothing sounds to my ear, I feel myself slowly drifting off into darkness peacefully.