Chapter 13 - Part 2 - Commoner's Clothing

Nervously, I approach Thaddeus's office looking up at the soldier, hoping he will suddenly change his mind. The door dark and plain, an unbearable emptiness fills me. Without a miracle, I watch as the soldier opens the door without a knock or warning. Following closely behind him, I hide from view. The wood floor creaking as we approach. A short cushioned bench with winged arms placed before the hearth. Paintings and tapestries hanging all around. Staring at me with shame are several paintings of rulers, who long past on from this world. I have let their descendant down.

The soldier steps to the side, and I nervously step into the middle of the room. Standing confidently as the woman I am before the King's desk. Forcing his gaze off the papers, his expression irritated and displeased until he sees me.

His eyes widen, "Claire?"

"I'm sorry," I whisper, my fingers twiddling together as I hide my hands behind my back.

My sorrow triggers a state of panic inside him, and he stands. His chair scraping loudly against the floor, "What is the meaning of this! Explain yourself, soldier."

"Thaddeus, this isn't his fault," I immediately defend the soldier, stepping into his intense stare.

"Who's fault is this then? You're dragged in here, unannounced, and dressed like a commoner of all things," he growls, his hand waving up and down referencing to my outfit. My face heats up in anger. How dare he!

"Do not insult me, I am a commoner, and you are aware of this," I grit my teeth as I remind him of my family of traitors.

He glares at me, "Forgive me for giving you the finer things in life."

The soldier steps forward, interrupting our sudden argument, "Your majesty, I would like to explain." The soldier remains quiet for a moment, and Thaddeus coldly nods for him to continue, "I found her in the streets of the market like this. I thought best to bring her immediately to you."

He sighs, ruffling his hair out of his face, "Thank you, soldier, I am in your debt."

They silently nod to each other, and I awkwardly fidget with my fingers again as the soldier turns. He nods subtly in my direction respectfully, and exits the room, closing the door for our privacy.

"Care to explain?" Thaddeus finally speaks, pulling my attention away from the closed door.

His eyebrow is lifted with curiosity, his gaze racking over my appearance. Nervously, I continue to fidget. When he clears his throat in warning, I lie, "I only wanted to see the market again, I haven't visited since Margaret took me. It wasn't a problem then, I didn't consider it a problem now."

Never can I admit to him, that I went to meet Chadwick there. I can't tell him I saw my brother. My hand moves to my belly. What would come of our fate if Thaddeus found out any of this?

"You left here dressed as a commoner, and didn't consider it a concern for me?" he shakes his head amused by my lie, "Your hiding something from me Claire. Were you going to find your family?"

He knows. Panic shakes my body into a frenzy. I rush forward placing my hands on his desk, "Please, Thaddeus, I only wanted to know that they were well. I planned to return afterwards."

His expression turns from amused to rage, "Are you mad? You could have been killed, I'm in the midst of a civil war, and you want to step right into their hands?"

Stepping back startled by his raised voice, I gasp from the accusation, "They won't hurt me, they only fear for my safety."

"Fearful of your safety? The same men who sent me letters threatening you? Your brother may very well be blind, but I am no fool," his fist slams against the table, and he hisses, "They are gathering forces, Claire, and I can not risk any casualties during your absurd escapades."